NW Nebraska DIY hunt

I'm in High Springs just outside Gainesville.
upload_2019-11-23_20-56-32.jpeg

upload_2019-11-23_20-56-54.jpeg

Nice job getting it done, looks like pretty country. Bev's Better Burgers is pretty amazing, but I guess that's in Alachua. Nice part of the state, much better than South Florida.

I'll take any thoughts anyone may have on hunting public land in the Pine Ridge Region of Nebraska. I'll be heading up for the November rifle hunt and it'll be my first out west (coming from FL, this is out west lol) so I know there are a lot of learning curves ahead. I've read a lot of the older posts but haven't found many recent ones (last 2 years "ish"). At the moment I'll probably be staying in a cabin or hotel rather than camping. Also, I'd love a Mulie, but I'm open to WT as well. I'm just hoping for a great experience and maybe a shot at a decent buck (remembering here that a decent buck for a Florida boy is much smaller than most other areas of the country).

I'm in shape, so hiking into more remote areas won't be a problem, but I'm struggling to find many areas that aren't all that close to roads. Obviously sitting in Florida and looking at GIS maps can be deceiving, so I'll take any pointers one may have. I'd prefer to be as far from pressure as possible, but in my research, it appears that may be difficult. So are there any areas to stay away from or focus on?

That being said, currently I'm contemplating on focusing either in the Fort Robinson/Soldier Creek areas or potentially Metcalf WMA. However I'm not locked in on anything at the moment, just wanting any insight that someone wishes to give. I'll be arriving 2 days early to start scouting and will probably continue to do so over the weekend, then hunt hard monday-Thurs.

Thanks, Charlie
was there any reason you chose not to go to the metcalf wma?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.