number of rounds

plumeja

Was wondering how many rounds a scope can handle. I saw an add for a used scope that had about 400 308 rounds through it. It is a vortex scope so at lest they have the vip warranty i guess

I've not heard of a high quality scope (NF, Leupold, S&B, Vortex, etc) failing due to an excessive number of appropriate rounds fired, i.e., a Leupold failing on a .308.

I've heard numerous accounts of a scopes failing after being subjected to multiple rounds of large caliber rounds (.50 cal, .338 LM, etc).

The Vortex should have zero issues with 400 rounds of .308.

Was wondering how many rounds a scope can handle. I saw an add for a used scope that had about 400 308 rounds through it. It is a vortex scope so at lest they have the vip warranty i guess

The damage to a scope which is properly mounted in rings will be far less from firing thousands of rounds than from dropping the rifle once scope first a foot onto a rock. You just don't notice the damage until the next time you shoot and it wont hold zero.

Round count means something to barrels but not scopes.

Round count means something to barrels but not scopes.

If you put a cheap scope on a heavy recoil rifle (say a Tasco Hunter on a 50 BMG) it isn't going to last. But serious hunters/competition shooters don't pair up cheap scopes with good rifles. If you're looking for a standard to follow, Lou has the right idea. Round count means something to barrels but not to quality scopes. Vortex makes quality scopes. Try to avoid putting a .22 rimfire scope on a high power rifle like a 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.