Number of cases..

Flashman

I`m in the project state of mind for the moment, but lacking a bit of experience when it comes to reloading "special" cartrigdes, I`ve reloaded a lot of normal cartrigdes - but that`s been with an "unlimited" supply of brass. So now that I`m trailing along in the more obscure neck of the woods, I havent got a clue for what to get - the cartrigde in question is the .308 Norma Magnum, and I suppose I will be necking down 338 Win Mag as basebrass - Anybody who feels up to guesstimat the number of chases I`ll needing for kick off ??
confused.gif

Flashman,

I'm not sure I quite understand your question. Are you thinking about weighing and sorting your cases after you neck down? How many loaded rounds do you want to end up with? Of course the biggest factor will be the quality of the brass you start with, and how tight your standards are. But I like to start with a large enough amount, say 3 or 4 times the desired finished number. This will give you several large useable batches. Then as one group of brass wears out you already have a new batch ready.

Hope that answered your question.

[ 05-28-2004: Message edited by: Birdshooter ]

Flashman:
Great Cartridge; Use the high quality Norma Brass made for this cartridge. I shoot the 308 Norma Mag and 338 Lapua Mag. In all cases I keep my loads BELOW max pressures, and will easly get 20 reloads out of each case, and more. Good Shooting

You might also try resizing 300 Win Mag brass. I also shoot the .308 Norma Magnum and I prefer 300 Win Mag because I don't get heavier necks. I just lube them and run them through the full length sizing die and then trim to length.

One option nobody mentioned is just buying .308 Norma mag brass. Norma makes it, Midway carries it in 20s and 100s for a hair over a buck a case which ain't exactly free but it isn't too bad either. At least you're not shooting .338 Lapua, xx-.378, or a Lazzeroni case. Usually Norma brass is pretty fair quality.

Have you built the gun yet? If not, you might also consider .30-.338. Hint: If you're in a neck turning mood, neck down .338 brass, if you're feeling lazy, neck up 7mm mag brass.

Whatever you do, I suggest getting 50-100 cases more than you think you need, prep them like the rest, then set 'em aside for a rainy day. That cache can keep you hunting if brass gets scarce somewhere down the road.

G' luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.