NRL - Ranging set up

mtnelkhunter

Looking for some feedback: I am wanting to participate in one or two NRL HUNTER matches in '24 - not because I will be competitive- but to get better at shooting for hunting. I would just be using equipment I hunt with and am okay carrying on backpack hunts. (At least for the most part). I should upgrade my range finder (vortex 1800) regardless and have been looking at the Revic BR4 as a good hunting solution to have real time data and ballistic calculations rather than a just a hard dope card that approximates conditions.

I am wondering is locating the targets on an NRL Match with the BR4 viable? It's 10x and supposed to be decent glass.

A pair of range finding binos would be great but the cost is more and I would prefer to keep saving and eventually get some NL pures that should do me for the rest of my hunting carrier - as opposed to EL ranges where you might want to upgrade if internals become outdated and such.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I can't answer your question but I am on the same page, I looked into it about a month ago and found two matches in Utah that were an easy drive for me, investing led me to the belief that maybe I could just be a RO for my first time, more investing led me to believe that in order to compete you had to have specialized equipment which to me was counter to why I wanted to get involved, to sharpen my hunting skills. I mentioned this to a RO up at our local range and he led me to this, UHRC which is geared more towards realistic hunting situations and you only use gear you would normally carry in those situations. There is a local match for me so that even sounds more appealing. Have not done it yet but on my list for 2024. Either way, good luck

To compete you need specialized equipment or just to be competitive with the better shooters? From what I can tell I could compete with anything - I just would be at a disadvantage to those running more streamlined set ups.

Look for NRL Hunter matches. Regular NRL matches are tailored to competitors shooting equipment meant specifically for long range tactical matches. You'll struggle enough with hunting gear that it'll be difficult to even tell what you're doing wrong.

To answer your question, no, 10x is not adequate for NRL. At the absolute minimum you'd want something that goes up to 18x or so. Most people run something that tops out in the 24-36 range and shoot with it around 18x. Your rangefinder will be fine.

Sorry - I only meant NRL hunter - that's what I was planning on trying out. Sorry for the confusion.

Also - I was talking about the Revic Br4 with 10x magnification for locating targets - not just ranging them.

(Though as it happens I am shooting a 10x scope - the NXS 2.5-10 and won't be changing that even if it's a disadvantage).

So I'm reading that your concern is whether the magnification of the range finder is enough. In that case I'd say you are GTG with anything from 7X and up. You have 4 minutes so the biggest concern is the work flow.
I also heard that being competitive is not your priority, so use what you have and learn what you can. I'm assuming you haven't ever been in a timed match before so little you can do by upgrading equipment is going to give you an advantage. How you manage your equipment is the greatest obstacle.
If you can unpack and be identifying targets in 30-40 seconds you are way ahead of the game. This you can practice at home. Time passes slower in reality than in your head. Be smooth.

Yes that was my concern - that and the one eye viewing of a range finder - everyone in the online videos is using range finding binos so I wasn't sure how viable it was.

You are right I have never competed in any timed shooting event. I plan to practice my work flow before hand but I am sure it will be a whole new experience no matter.

You'll want the best glass/most adequate laser system there is. Lots of times they tuck these targets into tricky areas to find. At some times of day, they could be in a shadowed thicket under trees. A grayed out plate is tough to see in this situation unless you have great glass. I would recommend the Leica HD pro lrf binos, zeiss victory RF or Swaro El range. I have the zeiss and sig kilo 10k. Love the sig laser but the glass is mediocre. The biggest thing I can reccomend is finding the laser convergence with the reticle in your lrf and knowing exactly where the laser hits on target in reference to the reticle, they're are almost never zero. I can shift the reticle in the 10k, but even with it centered as much as the electronics allow, it's still not perfect. Knowing the exact convergence will allow you to get the best range to target possible and give you the best chance of hitting your target. The sig kilo 6k binos are a very good bang for the buck setup, but only give dope to 800y, 90% of nrl hunter targets are inside that distance, the longer ones you'll have to bust out ur kestrel. Buy the best glass you can afford, it'll help you the most.

Thanks for the input! I picked up a Revic BR4 which will be good in terms of ranging and timely corrections. The optics are 10x and not bad. Hoping I can use them to identify most of the targets. I will also have my 10x binos - those are just the lower end Maven's for now. Which are better then their price bur not the best of course. Signed up to shoot the Pueblo weekend in the skills and then plan to compete in the Laramie one.

Been interested in doing an NRL Hunter match. What equipment DO I need to go, have a good time, and not embarrass myself anymore than I have to?
I've got an accurate rifle (0.5 moa chambered in 6cm), tripod, bipod, range finder, binos, spotter, ballistic app on my phone with load data, and a dialable scope that maxes at 14x. I have a reloading setup and the range in my front yard goes to 700y and is windy AF being on a mtn top.
*If only that equated to proficiency at that range and expert wind calling skills*

What else do I need that I cant borrow or beg at the event?

Been interested in doing an NRL Hunter match. What equipment DO I need to go, have a good time, and not embarrass myself anymore than I have to?
I've got an accurate rifle (0.5 moa chambered in 6cm), tripod, bipod, range finder, binos, spotter, ballistic app on my phone with load data, and a dialable scope that maxes at 14x. I have a reloading setup and the range in my front yard goes to 700y and is windy AF being on a mtn top.
*If only that equated to proficiency at that range and expert wind calling skills*

What else do I need that I cant borrow or beg at the event?
You plan to shoot skills class? If it's a factory rifle not modified beyond NRL regulations, 6cm can be ran in factory class. 6cm does not make power factor to compete in the open divisions.

You need make a dope card and attach to an arm board, the whole locate targets, write down distance, open ballistics app and calculate will eat 75% your time window. A cheap 3d print tac table will be a good choice atop your Tripod for glassing.

I don't see a shooting bag, Armageddon shmedium game changer heavy fill, thank me later. You can also buy some git lite or purg bag fill and use it in lightweight mode when truly hunting.

You appear to have everything else you need. A good pack to hold your gear and manage your work flow is important too.

My 6cm is a Ruger American with a timmeny trigger and Magpul stock. Banish Backcountry can
I've got a GitLite filled shooting bag (the goofy shaped one and a smaller rear bag).
I'm familiar with both using dope cards and making range cards under stress (retired military combat vet). I'll make sure I have the tools and ability to do so at the match though - thanks for that suggestion.

I don't know what class or event to try first. My "plan" was to go watch or volunteer at one match to get the lay of the land and then try one
There seems to be 3 events near-ish to me this spring.

Got a link or a name.for a good 3d printed tac table?

Appreciate you taking the time to answer my Q's.

My 6cm is a Ruger American with a timmeny trigger and Magpul stock. Banish Backcountry can
I've got a GitLite filled shooting bag (the goofy shaped one and a smaller rear bag).
I'm familiar with both using dope cards and making range cards under stress (retired military combat vet). I'll make sure I have the tools and ability to do so at the match though - thanks for that suggestion.

I don't know what class or event to try first. My "plan" was to go watch or volunteer at one match to get the lay of the land and then try one
There seems to be 3 events near-ish to me this spring.

Got a link or a name.for a good 3d printed tac table?

Appreciate you taking the time to answer my Q's.
You can make your own tab table, I've made a few of 3/16 carbon fiber plate, attached an arca on bottom and covered with grip tape. There are many 3d printed tables out there in the 60-75$ range, and you can make em for less.

Some examples:

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/catt-cheap-***-tac-table.7151671/

You'll need an arca attachment on your tripod.

Your rifle as as will have to be run in open as config'd, but 6cm not make 380,000 power factor(bullet weight X muzzle velocity) factory ammo can be ran in an open class rifle that doesn't make power factor, but has to be 6.5mm or larger. So you're essentially limited to skills class.