Nosler M48 vs Cooper Model 52 vs Sako 85

stanley52

I mentioned in a previous thread I wanted to get a Nosler M48 in 30-06 as an all purpose hunting rifle. Some additional options are becoming available to me and I wanted some opinions. 1) I could get a Nosler M48 Heritage for $1500 2) a Cooper Model 52 Classic for $2100 3) a Sako 85 (wood stock) for $2000. Is the Cooper worth $600 more than the Nosler? Should the Sako even be mentioned being that I could get a Cooper for virtually the same price? Thoughts?

-To clarify, this rifle will predominantly be used on large bodied Kansas Whitetail out to max 600-650 yards. There is always a chance for Elk Hunts in the future to equal distance. Not really trying to get in a discussion over calibers. A 30-06 will do all of that just fine, I'm more concerned about platform to get the bullet on target...

I currently own the cooper Excalibur and the 85 Sako. I have handled the Nosler 48 I can't recall if it was the Heritage. I was not particularly impressed with the 48. It has a 2 lug bolt design that is no where near as smooth as the Sako or the cooper.

The sako has a 22.5 inch bbl which can be a bit of a handicap and their wood stocks on their hunter models are typically not that great.

Cooper makes a firearm that is as close to custom as you can get from a manufacturer. The cooper has a magazine which is beneficial the Sako magazine is better. The Nosler has a hinged floor plate design. I had problems with the magazine on the cooper and had to send it back the repair was handled well and has held up.

The trigger on the cooper is very good and I would say is a little better than the Sako and the Nosler and the Sako is probably better than the Nosler.

The safety on the cooper is lame IMO more like a switch than a safety. The safety on the Sako is a 3 position affair that I believe is as good as it gets. The noser has a 2 position safety I cant recall its functionality.

The cooper barrel is hand lapped and better than the Sako I have never cleaned the Nosler so I cant comment but I am certain barrel wise the cooper is better.

The Sako 85 is a really nice firearm 2,000 sounds steep for a 85 hunter if its stainless or classic not so. The only detractor I can find on the cooper is the safety. The Nosler is not in the same league IMO and as you have probably gathered from the prices you've posted.

600 dollars is still extra green you could spend on a scope of greater value.

All in all I really like the Sako but the 22.5 can be a problem. You never know how that's going to work out a 22.5 may out shoot a 24 in some cases.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and shot straight

Bob

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to reply, especially yours Bob. I actually found an extremely lightly use Cooper 52 Classic 30-06 for $1900 (can't even tell it was picked up), so I went with that option!

Last edited:
Congrats that's a good deal for that firearm. The cooper classics are usually quite something. Hopefully you wont mind taking it to the woods.

Good luck

Bob

All of the rifles you mentioned are awesome, each more than capable of handling your needs without question. If you got the $2000.00 to spend, do it and don't hesitate, myself I'd pick the Nosler in 28 provided when I walked out the door I'd have 200 casings in my other hand or the gun stays, not driving myself crazy for a while looking for casings... Or go completely in the other direction, you can buy an off the shelf plain Jane bolt rifle these days for less than $400.00 that will do about the same thing. You said it's a hunting rifle and all the el cheappo deluxe bolts can hit a basketball at 500 yards if you do your part at a fraction of the cost, check out T/C'snew Compass in 7 mm rem mag, tough to beat for basically nothing, rugers American, a ton of Savages..it's your hard earned money, why spend it for nothing

There is something to be said about feel, fit and finish. The glass like slide of the Cooper bolt and the solid ancient reputation of the Sako! Priceless!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.