Nosler accubond performance

In this case 2, but my brother in law has this weird habit of sneaking close so I chose a bullet for him that I suited how he hunted, instead he shoots the elk over 400yards away lol, made a good shot though

Best laid plans!!!

I rebuilt a old 300 win mag for 110 barnes

3950 fps out of a heavy palma KrIeger 30"

Little tiny groups, easy load development

RETUMBO (new 5lb can) NEAR MAXED OUT, LITTLE COMPRESSED...

SIGHTING IN REMINDED ME OF 220SWIFT ON STEROIDS...

PRONGHORN PLANNED ON 400 YARDS....

REASONABLE RIGHT???

BURNED A COUPLE POUNDS OF POWDER APPRECIATING THE RIFLE I NAMED "LIGHTNING"

TURNED COYOTES INSIDE OUT....... AT 400+ YARDS....

Ran into a GORGEOUS PRONGHORN BUCK IN SOME PINES... OPENING DAY...

SLEEPING, HEAD DOWN LIKE A TIRED BULL IN THE RUT...

LOOKED AT HIM IN SCOPE

GUESS HE IGNORED HIS EMAILS AND MEMOS LAST NIGHT!!!!!

THE HEX CAMO WAS WORKING???

LUCK???

20FT?

I TOOK A REST. PUT SCOPE ON 4X.
I SHOULD HAVE USED 44MAG 300 GRAIN SOLID BLACKHAWK 7.5" ON HIP...

TO BUSY TO REMEMBER THAT AS I STARTED SHAKING "DONT F THIS UP!!!"

WHISTLED.

LET HIM STAND UP... I AM A GENTLEMEN AFTER all.....

PUT THE BULLET THROUGH SPOT ON BRISKET...

GUT JOB PRETTY MUCH ACCOMPLISED ON TRIGGER PULL...

HEART LUNGS 1/2 OF LIVER TOAST...

HEAD SHOT WOULD HAVE dropped in tracks SLOWER....

6 YEARS TOOK A WHITETAIL IN NC AT 400 YARDS

DOUBLE LUNG...

HIT LIKE LIGHTNING!!!

FIST SIZED EXIT...

AMAZING WHAT A "LITTLE" FAST 30 CAL CAN DO!!!!

Amazing regardless of plan the animals never agree to play by the rules expectations or norms....

Interesting results. Seems like a finishing shot to the head shows how much respect you have for the animal.. wanting to stop its suffering even if it means possibly ruining the trophy mount. I think I would have done a spine shot, lower down the neck (close to the shoulder). Being really close to bullets flying really fast hitting hard bone makes me nervous, so I'd rather hit something with a little substance around it to absorb some of the impact energy.

Yes. My kids are now getting big enough to shoot one of my heavier 300 win mags with a muzzle break.

I think it could be an issue of marginal stability not keeping the bullet point on at impact. A bit of yaw and instant bone.
Yes, this is a great comment. I don't know specifically about the OP, but I don't think the average hunter doesn't looks into how well their rifle stabilizes these new long hunting bullets. (Accubond isnt too bad, but some of the coppers and Terminal Ascent are good examples.) My eyes were opened when l started playing with Bergers stability calculator. I believe this is also one reason people sometimes see bullets not expand.. the rifling isnt fast enough and not spinning them fast enough (more spin = more centrifugal force = better chance of bullet expanding).

Last edited:
I shot a bull elk in the forehead from five feet to finish him with my Glock in 40 S&W. All it did was wake him up...I had to run him down and put 2 in his lungs with my rifle to finish that saga. I know it's not the same but their heads are very hard!

Lol my brother killed a roosevelt with a glock 40 cal compact...

15 yards???

Poleaxed him with a double lung heart double tap, 135 nosler hollow points

Bull reared back like a stallion

Let out a death bellow

Landed on his back

Antlers stuck in little alders

All 4 feet in air!!!

243, 257 Robert's, 6.5 carcano, 6.5x55, 240 weatherby, 7mm-08, 7x57, 7 rem mag, 7x30 waters, 30-30, 308, 06, 300 win mag, 300 weatherby, 378 weatherby, 303 British, 7.62x54, 7.62x39, 338 win mag, 35 Whelen, 375 winchester, 375h&h, 416 rem, 458 lott, 45/70, 45 and 50 cal muzzleloader, 400 to 750 grain arrows, 45acp, 10mm, 44mag, 45lc......

Seen well over 150 bulls die in 40 years....

Never seen that except with a 40 cal pistol????

Weird

Wanted everyone's thoughts on this bullet?
It's a 140gr accubond from a 270
View attachment 214909
from an elk skull at 40yds. Not what I expected personally

Question is, where it impacted., under what angle... I think if you want to shoot these big animals to the head, get appropriate bullets like A-frame. Also a neck shot is always better than head shot.

I used accubonds in my 260 for one season. 140s loaded at 2750fps. Shot one deer at 30 yards through the top of the heart. It walked about 10 yards squirting blood out both sides however it looked like someone pushed an arrow with a field point through it. No expansion at all. No meat damage either though. Later that season I shot an 8 point through the same spot at 40 yards. If it hadn't snowed before I shot him it would have been a hard deer to find. This one made it almost 300 yards through thick brush with only an occasional drop of blood. I followed his tracks in the snow and was able to find him. This bullet also penciled through with no expansion. Again also no meat damage which is a plus. Not sure if I got a bad batch but I won't be using them in the 260 again. I use partitions in my 375h&h and love them. Really wanted to try the accubonds in that but I'm worried I might have similar results.
use round nose on short distances

Nosler AccuBonds and partitions have been my bullets of choice for many years. I sacrifice (not much) a little accuracy because of the performance and results I have achieved over the years. There are quite a few other bullets out there that perform admirably in terms of harvesting game without having to track animals for long distances and time. I am assuming good bullet placement and within proper distance according to caliber. Bullets are somewhat similar to calibers in that there are quite a few, and selection oftentimes comes down to an affinity or emotional component. My preference is the 7mm family. I know full well there are others out there that perform better but I like and choose that family. With all that being said, the AccuBond is a very good hunting bullet that performs and is accurate with the loads your rifle likes.

Wanted everyone's thoughts on this bullet?
It's a 140gr accubond from a 270
View attachment 214909
from an elk skull at 40yds. Not what I expected personally
I do not reply much but just had to get my 2c in. Bullets need hydraulic pressure to expand. nothing here but 1/4 in. of hide and a very thick and hard bone. Very few if anything but solids are going to do what we think they will do in that situation. Use 87 grn. ber vld hunting bullets for years on deer. Have seen everything from Totally destroyed with no exit to almost complete bullets on far side hide with occasionally pass through. If i hit large bone on entry is only time have bullets not expand and always had the tip bent.

I have and use quite a few of the NAB 140's in .277, and I have experienced very good results. Hitting an elk's skull @ 40yds isn't the best example of any bullet's performance, but in the end, was it dead?

I've shot a few farm and wild animals in the head as have a few friends, and every so often, strange things happen: Ricochets, bullets that simply ran under the scalp, etc. Hog hunting with dogs and shooting skulls at close range with handguns can, occasionally, reveal interesting results.

Edit to add: Hence why am I rather against shooting most game animals in the head.

I'm with you on this one. The head is also the part of an animal's body that is most likely to move suddenly, and it doesn't have to move much to produce a bad hit. If the animal is going to run, he has to pick up a foot first, which telegraphs the move to the shooter. Not so with the head. Just turning a few degrees can change the angle of entry enough to make a big difference, and it's not the "clean kill or clean miss" that guys like to say it is. I've seen deer that had their jaws dangling, and it was not pretty. Also, bullet performance can be pretty erratic, as we're seeing here.

I guess I'll quote myself. Apparently I might as well state the common rebuttals right to start with lol
Oh my, read my reply above.
It was my brother in law who shot the elk, out one behind the shoulder six inches up from bottom of the ribs. Elk walked into some bush and laid down to die, when he got to it it was still dying so he finished it with a head shot
Not when you feel like a 40 yard sniper that morning, 😂

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.