Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua

Nevada/shooter

Accuracy, Power, Light Weight Make the Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua ULR the Ultimate Semi-Automatic Sniper Rifle.

Does anyone have one of these and if so how are they?

Thanks

NV/Shtr,

For some reason I keep clicking on that link.:rolleyes:

If I didn't have a build in progress that is about the same price I'd jump on it just for the experience.

I wonder about the aluminum receiver raises a question or two regarding how much it can be souped up.

I've heard of no owners yet and am eagerly awaiting some kind of report.

Since I've been shooting the 338 RUM I've become appreciative of the big bore's capabilities. If RUM velocities could be achieved from the Laupua w/the Berger the 300 gr projectile offerings it would be a certain keeper. (If the accuracy were there)..

NV/Shtr,

For some reason I keep clicking on that link.:rolleyes:

If I didn't have a build in progress that is about the same price I'd jump on it just for the experience.

I wonder about the aluminum receiver raises a question or two regarding how much it can be souped up.

I've heard of no owners yet and am eagerly awaiting some kind of report.

Since I've been shooting the 338 RUM I've become appreciative of the big bore's capabilities. If RUM velocities could be achieved from the Lapua w/the 300 gr projectile offerings it would be a certain keeper. (If the accuracy were there)..

I do not own one but have shot one. They are a dream. I would say it is comprable to a 243 win on recoil, believe it or not. I was amazed. I would have to say if it was ever made In a 300RUM I would break the bank to buy one of these remarkable rifles. It shot that good. 1000yrds is a chip shot with this rifle. Was shootin at a 24" steel plate at 1000yrds and should have been shootin it at 2000yrd. 5 shots 5.25" group. Yes 5.25" group. Not 5.25 MOA group. If this email somehow makes it the " The Man " who makes this rifle, I'll take 1 in 300RUM PLEASE!!!!gun)gun)

The closest I got is handling them in my LGS ...

0306141314_zps78db4707.jpg

IMHO this guy did a very nice review of it ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0Py2Ba01w&feature=player_detailpage#t=398

I do not own one but have shot one. They are a dream. I would say it is comprable to a 243 win on recoil, believe it or not. I was amazed. I would have to say if it was ever made In a 300RUM I would break the bank to buy one of these remarkable rifles. It shot that good. 1000yrds is a chip shot with this rifle. Was shootin at a 24" steel plate at 1000yrds and should have been shootin it at 2000yrd. 5 shots 5.25" group. Yes 5.25" group. Not 5.25 MOA group. If this email somehow makes it the " The Man " who makes this rifle, I'll take 1 in 300RUM PLEASE!!!!gun)gun)

I will say it. Do you work at Noreen? I know Pete and he would say you are likely full of it.

It's a decent firearm. don't get me wrong. you didn't shoot that group out of it. And it kicks much more than a 243

Don't mean to be mean. But I have shot the gun. And though I like it a lot, and will even own one very shortly, I can't stand people using hyperbole to describe it. It recoils like 270 winchester bolt gun. I wouldn't say 243. I know a few reviewers have said that. I think it was more. It was less than expected though. I will say that.

The gun holds sub MOA accuracy out to long ranges. I shot it at 1000 meters and it was shooting consistently in the 7s and 8s. Not the 5s. I had groups in the 5s, but only 2. So I simply don't believe people saying the gun held half MOA all day.

I used factory ammo, 300 gr SMKs that BHs made. As well as some HSMs loaded with Berger 300 VLD Hunters. I shot some of my buddies hornady 250 grain factory loads. I don't like the load, but my tightest group was with them actually. As far as factory loads.

I also shot some cheap Prvi Partisan 250 gr rounds. No shock they had a 13.45 average group.

I did shoot handholds, and had to shoot them single shot because they are seated for my custom gun with an OAL of just under 4 inches. Mix of 250 SMKs and 300 Berger OTMs that I had available. Didn't fit in mag. They chambered into lands of course. These were the most accurate of all the groups.

I would say it shot better than I expected. It is a sub-MOA AR without a doubt. Operation was smoother than the other Noreens I have shot. Perhaps the required engineering and tuning for a round of this caliber force Pete to really hone down on this rifle and make it right.

As far as reliability, I had multiple feeding issues, all with factory ammo. I take care of my brass on my reloads, so didn't have issues there. The HSM and Hornady brass did show significant wear marks, almost looking like overpressure marks. Likely due to junk brass they use.

It will be a fun gun to have in collection, and I probably will even hunt with it at least once. Buy it if you have the coin. If you want a extreme range tack driver, build the custom bolt gun. The price tag will be the same either way.

Special note, I do not work for any firearms company or related company. I am merely a recreational shooter with a previous military background. I grew up in MT. I even know a few of the guys with gun companies out there now. Actually quite a few. Some great gun builders, some just ok. Pete is a pretty good gun maker. His company is pretty good. Not exceptional, not unmatched. Pretty darn good. I would be happy owning any of his products.

Don't mean to be mean. But I have shot the gun. And though I like it a lot, and will even own one very shortly, I can't stand people using hyperbole to describe it. It recoils like 270 winchester bolt gun. I wouldn't say 243. I know a few reviewers have said that. I think it was more. It was less than expected though. I will say that.

The gun holds sub MOA accuracy out to long ranges. I shot it at 1000 meters and it was shooting consistently in the 7s and 8s. Not the 5s. I had groups in the 5s, but only 2. So I simply don't believe people saying the gun held half MOA all day.

I used factory ammo, 300 gr SMKs that BHs made. As well as some HSMs loaded with Berger 300 VLD Hunters. I shot some of my buddies hornady 250 grain factory loads. I don't like the load, but my tightest group was with them actually. As far as factory loads.

I also shot some cheap Prvi Partisan 250 gr rounds. No shock they had a 13.45 average group.

I did shoot handholds, and had to shoot them single shot because they are seated for my custom gun with an OAL of just under 4 inches. Mix of 250 SMKs and 300 Berger OTMs that I had available. Didn't fit in mag. They chambered into lands of course. These were the most accurate of all the groups.

I would say it shot better than I expected. It is a sub-MOA AR without a doubt. Operation was smoother than the other Noreens I have shot. Perhaps the required engineering and tuning for a round of this caliber force Pete to really hone down on this rifle and make it right.

As far as reliability, I had multiple feeding issues, all with factory ammo. I take care of my brass on my reloads, so didn't have issues there. The HSM and Hornady brass did show significant wear marks, almost looking like overpressure marks. Likely due to junk brass they use.

It will be a fun gun to have in collection, and I probably will even hunt with it at least once. Buy it if you have the coin. If you want a extreme range tack driver, build the custom bolt gun. The price tag will be the same either way.

Special note, I do not work for any firearms company or related company. I am merely a recreational shooter with a previous military background. I grew up in MT. I even know a few of the guys with gun companies out there now. Actually quite a few. Some great gun builders, some just ok. Pete is a pretty good gun maker. His company is pretty good. Not exceptional, not unmatched. Pretty darn good. I would be happy owning any of his products.

I respect your candor!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 124
I have read reviews that mirror the one above. In summary they seemed to be accurate, but with feeding issues.

I am interested in the Alexander Arms offering for roughly the same price.

Ulfberht .338 Lapua Magnum Rifles by Alexander Arms

Although in semi-auto's I look for light weight and affordability of ammo since they kind of lend themselves to more rounds down range with me, no matter how hard I try to resist :)

Love the innovation that has been in the firearm industry lately. Seeing old designs made new again, completely new designs and designs that take the best of several individual guns and combine them for something truly great.

Greetings to all ELR shooters on the forum which I have just joined.

Quick intro; I am an old warhorse from the Vietnam era with many years in various shooting disciplines from military and law enforcement, to civilian competition, currently shooting a custom .300 RUM at 1000 yds and beyond. If I do my part, groups near the 100 yd are 1/4 MOA, groups near 1000 yd are around 1/2 MOA with good wind dope.

I am researching rifles, optics, and hand loads to purchase/build a .338 Lapua bolt gun for 1000-2000 yd precision shooting. I know nothing will beat a high precision custom build with anal hand loading and top line optics, but would like to at least consider the possibility of a starter .338 Lapua of more modest cost until I am convinced that my skill, aging eyesight, and shooting budget can be better served by a .338 Lapua than my awesome RUM for 1000 -2000 yd work.

My interest is in accuracy and precision, not multiple target, military engagement, so a single shot bolt gun like the Savage 112 would suit my needs as well as a mag fed Barrett or other top line product.

I have come to this forum to solicit the opinions of experienced Lapua shooters in lieu of reinventing the wheel at several dollars a pop. What I am looking for initially is personal experiences with the various SAVAGE 110,111,and 112 models as compared to Barrett models and custom builds, pet hand loads that I can try once I obtain the rifle, and eventually, dialog with experienced Lapua shooters for serious advancement in ELR discipline.

Thanks in advance for your interest, experience, and time.

Timothy

Tim, I would start your own and thread with your questions you will get all the info you need hear. I have a savage lrh 338 lapua. I swapped out the cheap stock for an xlr and it may be what you need. Still working g on loads so can not give you the load data yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.