Noob R700 Barrel removal/installation questions

Is it plausible that McGowen would have done that?
I think your first step should be to call Dan at McGowen and ask him.

I've chambered a lot of McGowen blanks- but just last week had a customer bring in a Mauser action and a pre-fit McGowen barrel for it. He told me he'd bought the barrel years ago- it had only the caliber engraved and not their name as you indicated yours has- but it clocked at 12:00 when I installed the barrel. Not a great outcome- but short of setting back the breech and shoulder, and deepening the chamber- nothing I could do about it.

Quite possible they engraved both name and caliber, and on any pre-fit barrel fitted to an action where the receiver threads aren't timed (and 700's are not) there is no way to control where the engraving ends up clocking.

I think your first step should be to call Dan at McGowen and ask him.

I've chambered a lot of McGowen blanks- but just last week had a customer bring in a Mauser action and a pre-fit McGowen barrel for it. He told me he'd bought the barrel years ago- it had only the caliber engraved and not their name as you indicated yours has- but it clocked at 12:00 when I installed the barrel. Not a great outcome- but short of setting back the breech and shoulder, and deepening the chamber- nothing I could do about it.

Quite possible they engraved both name and caliber, and on any pre-fit barrel fitted to an action where the receiver threads aren't timed (and 700's are not) there is no way to control where the engraving ends up clocking.
Thank you. I will give them a call tomorrow.