nomenclature of cartridges

You will find that anything over 40 degrees is pretty well useless and VERY touchy with sizing. If you take a case with say a 50 degree shoulder, it could collapse the case just seating your bullet if the dies and chamber of the dies are not set up exactly perfect.
A friend of mine got talked into a 300 WSM improved 50 degree about 2 years ago. He cusses it every time he reloads it. But he loves to shoot it, at least, when the ammo will fit back into the chamber!

I have had several 40 degree wildcats, and they work fine. However, I think 35 degrees is just about perfect for most applications.

I am thinking about building a cartridge with a 45 degree
shoulder on an unbelted mag case. Would it make a difference if you used collet dies for working the cases?

I don't know if he pushed the limit or not I'm going to see.
All of the Ackley calibers I have heard of are 40 degrees.I have the 6/06 A.I. and think 5 degrees more shouldn't be that critical, i believe it will be more effecient especially in a large case.

It would seam if the neck wants to crush,maybee,acompressed load would help by pushing out.Or i would make a expander a little larger,so all that pressure wouldn't have to be used. Once you solve the problem,all the fun is over!

I agree with the guys here - 40 is max and 35 is probably ideal.
A compressed load wouldn't help hold the shoulder- it would be compressed even more by the shoulder collapsing- been there, done that.
The main point is how much improvement do you gain (ie 5%) for how much reloading headache you also gain(ie 10%)- ain't worth the hassle.

No I haven't. Sorry, just haven't had the need to. If I want more than a RUM then I would go up a cartridge instead of trying to play design engineer which I ain't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I leave the case designing to the guys with the PhDs and all those other fancy degrees. My point is there is a reason why Ackley stoppped at 40- anything past just didn't gain anything. If it was so great everybody would be doing it but as others have said here 35 to 40 is about ideal/max.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.