No Boss for Browning A bolt ??

Augustus011

Med size hunting rifle... For the amount of noise. So loud!!! To me it doesnt seem worth it to have. Does the rifle perform as well with out it?

Trying to deside between Browning a bolt vs Tikka T3
Used for hunting

I've owned or shot 5 or 6 A Bolts that did not have the BOSS and all shot extremely well. You can actually buy them without the BOSS and not deal with it at all.

Between the Tikka and the Browning I personally like the feel of the Brownings better, but I think you'll be well pleased with either. Also, have you held an X Bolt? I sold my A Bolt to buy an X Bolt and have loved it.

I have the BOSS in 300 mag and if I could find another, I would buy it!!! I love it,... I have seen it tune factory ammo to clover leaf at 100 yards. Now that I reload, I would likely just change the load to fit my gun but without that ability, I think it is a GREAT rifle

As you, I came to a fork in the road between a Browning and T3. I chose the Browning because it seemed to be a more polished gun- the bolt, receiver and all and felt better in my hands. I imagined that the more enclosed receiver port on the T3 would restricted access more and would be harder to get to a misaligned cartridge or whatever. I went to Sheels and put 2 next to each other and alternated in picking them up and shouldering them a couple of dozen times and I just liked the Xbolt better. The palm swell (didn't know that's what it is called) lended to a more natural fit, and the forend grooves are a very comfortable grip point. But that's an Xbolt, not an Abolt. The A bolt is also a more refined rifle than the T3 though.
Nevertheless I hear that the T3s shoot very well, so if you get one of those I don't think you will be disappointed either. I love the look of the T3 camo/stainless model.

The Browning BOSS is AMAZING. Besides the trade-off for noise the accuracy is amazing. and I mean absolutely AMAZING. On my .270 win Abolt I get sub .5" moa with factory ammo at 100 yards.

The tikka t-3 was also the second rifle I was going to consider if I didnt find an A bolt, I heard nothing but great reviews about it.

Personally I would chose the Browning but if you cant/didnt I wouldnt feel bad with the Tikka either!! Just make sure it has BOSS, Youll love it guaranteed!!

Also its my absolute favorite rifle to own/shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.