Nikon optics

I picked up a Nikon 2.5-10x44 Tactical used, on a trade. The elevation turret was malfunctioning. I sent it for warranty repair, and it came back working fine in about 2 weeks. No charge to me. Optically, it is very good. Seems plenty durable. I suspect it had been damaged before I owned it. I would say it is a high quality product, backed by a bullet-proof warranty.

But, all things considered, I still like Leupolds better.

MM

059270.jpg

[ 10-30-2003: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]

I am a little torn, I like the gloss finish because it'll match my rifle, 10 bucks is not a big deal between the scopes, however I like the idea of a Jap made over the ppines. I am just not a 100 percent sure. ****!!

How's the mag on the scope, would it be too much for the hunts I've mention?

Thanks!

I don't think unhappy is accurate, just not my favorite. I'll happily sell it for $700, or trade for Leupold 3.5-10x40LR M1, Mk4 10x, or Mk4 16x.

MM

[ 11-01-2003: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]

Nikon products are OK but their service absolutely sucks.
Remember they are an international company.
Two of the many Nikon products I have purchased were defective.
I live in Toronto but either bought them via mail order in the USA or bought them while in Florida.
Nikon Canada steadfastly refused to even look at them because they were not bought in Canada( That means paid twice as much for the same item).
When I contacted NIKON USA they wouldn't accept them either because they said they wouldn't send them back to Canada.

Nikon and I have since parted ways.

Decee, now why wouldn't they send them back to Canada? Tell ya what, send it to me, or any other one of us guys down here, we'll send them in for repairs, and make durn sure you get them back. MM-you a lefty? Good to see rifles with the bolt on the correct side!

Sako,
Here are a couple of interesting little points about the 75. Does your synthetic stock have a tiny gap in the rubber on the seam in the midpoint of the forend - virtually every Sako that I have seen has the little sucker. Also, if you take the action out of the stock you might find a tiny crack in the stock near the trigger recess - I was told that is a factory mould boo-boo and they all have it. Does not mean anything as it is not a stress point but it is there if you can find it.

Other than those two minor things I have never found anything wrong with the 75, it is a great rifle. I have a .300 and a .338, and aside from a horse chewing on the rubber grip panel on the .300 they are in perfect shape after a lot of use. They are the most accurate and well assembled out of the box rifles that I have used, maybe a couple of Weatherbys give them a run but they are superb.
Only real sour point I have is the stupid factory scope mounting system - I do not understand why they went away from their old rings that attached directly to the dovetails. If you want some really nice looking mounts for your 75 look at the Warnes, they are dandy.

Like you I am a big fan of the 75, just thought you might find some of this interesting. I have stainless synthetics but got a spare mag in blue so I can put different ammo in it if I feel the need, can tell them apart that way. Do that sometime with a really tough bullet like the A-Frame vs the Hornady or whatever.

Ian, I had to look again at my forend to be sure. No gap. But, there's a small raised area right where you described, about a inch long.
As far as the crack in the trigger recess, I dont remember. I have had the action out a few times, to shave a little off the bedding and allow it to truly "free float". Thats the only trouble I have had with this rifle.

The barrel was touching on the left side of the forend, causing some inconsistant groups, that I pulled my hair out over!!
No more trouble now though.

Ian, are your Sako's REALLY fickle, concerning the bullets it will shoot properly?? By properly, I am refering to 1/2 inch or less.

She do like the SMK's though!!
grin.gif
..sakofan..

Yes, the Optilocs BLOW!! They are good rings, but, **** they are HIGH!! The little inserts that come with them are good.
I use the Leupold QD rings, and they are quite good as well.
If they didnt work, I was going to try Warne's, or anougher set of Talley's.

[ 11-01-2003: Message edited by: sakofan ]

Hey Sako fan, what's up?
What finish do you have on your stainless? Is it a grey matte or a shinny polished finish? Thanks man!

Maximus, my barrel is like a frosted, grey matte I guess. Not shiney.
I dont think they make one any other way but, I may be mistaken.

With a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 stainless, is a beauty indeed!!
Actually, I bought the Conquest because it matched the rifle perfectly..sakofan..A real good scope, none the less.
grin.gif

Hey Sako,
I shot my father in law's 30 06 this weekend, the gun was purchased 36 years ago, the darn thing had NO recoil pad, just bare old wood. ****, my shoulder was screaming after the 7th shot or so ...

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.