NIkon 1200 Rangefinder

Come on guys!
Has anyone had a chance to play with one of these yet?
Anyone???? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have played with one and the only thing that I can say is, wow. It is great. Clarity and the accuracy is outstanding. Nice and small in size making it easy to use.

How about ranging capability compared to the leica 1200? Seems like a good value for 400 bucks.

I can not comment on the Leica since we do not carry them at this time, but when playing with the Nikon, I did get a range of 1165 yards on the tree line.

Ok, I bought one.
The unit in general is small and easy to hold steady. The continuous rangeing feature is nice for ranging moving tagets. It gives readings very fast. The optics are not as good at the leica or swaro, but I did not expect them to be so there was no dissapointment there.

As for the ranging capability I I think it is really good. In bright daylight I got consistent readings of 1150-1200 yards off of trees and bushes. With a good rest I was able to get 1285 yards off of trees in daylight. The only time I was able to range animals it was foggy so 650 yards was as far as I was able to see them. The farthest range I got with it was just before dark I ranged a tree at 1365 yards with no rest.

Hopefully I will get to range some animals next weekend and let you know. Overall I am happy with it especially for just under 400 bucks.

Curious myself. How far do you think it will range deer, atelope etc..? What about steel targets painted white?

I did get a chance to range some deer this season. The farthest it ranged deer was around 600 in poor ranging condidtions. Deer up to 900 in good conditions. I think that it would do better but I only hunted deer for 2 days and all the deer were in tall grass or laying down. Also a tripod or good rest would increase the ranging capability. It does not range light colored grasses very well though, 600 tops. It does however range trees and rocks really well, In bright daylight 1150-1250 on green trees and rocks is common. At dusk up to 1400 on trees and rocks. Brown clored dirt was not bad I could get readings of 950-1100yards. I would guess that your white colored target would range at least 1300 in daylight. I ranged 1320 on a white garbage truck in daylight.

I thought it was letting me down this year at one point. I tried and tried to get a range and the only readings it would give me were around 650Yards. The only probelm was that I was shooting across this field that was supposed to be half a mile across (according to the landowner). So I decided not to trust the range finder and dial in for 880yards. I shot and did not see any signs that the bullet hit anywhere even close. The deer didn't move so I dialed back down to 650 and shot into a near by dirt bank (probably what I should have done the first time). It hit right where I aimed, so back over to the deer that still did not even get up. Bang and dead.

Overall it seems to be a good unit for the price. I really like how fast it gives a reading back(Almost instant). The elk have come down for winter now so I should be able to spend some time ranging them to get a better Idea of its capabilities on animals. I got my elk in bow season and it had no problem ranging that elk at 14 yards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thank you for the informative post. That is exactly the type of info I was looking for about this rangefinder.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.