• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Nighthawk Acquires Cooper Firearms

They needed new owners !! Friend of mine got 2 hunting rifles from them last year , more than a year late after he ordered them. Had serious issues with the bolts being very tight and difficult to open before he even fired them. Took them back to there shop and they could not, and or did not repair them. Ended up getting them fixed by a gunsmith in Helena with his own money. Very regretful that he ever did business with them. They were a good outfit many years ago before they changed ownership, but have been sinking ever since. Hope it works out for the better.
I have a friend who has 5 or 6 Coopers and has had similar issues lately. Just a few yrs back their level of service was second to none but the recent interactions left a lot to be desired.
I will say that his Coopers are all great shooting well made.
I'm wondering if picking up a "pre-'23" Cooper might be worth it….?

Glad I bought my three Coopers when I did. Between shopping the Cooper closeout and once-a-year $200 off at local dealers, and a lucky bid on Gunbroker, I have far less than four grand in new/LN Cooper 6mm Remington, .204R, and .221 Fireball rifles. None are repeaters, but all are from the Dan Cooper era, before QC and CS went downhill. Now I wouldn't walk across the street to buy an Arkansas handgun company-built Cooper if it were a hundred bucks.
Do feel sorry for any good Montana workers who were unceremoniously dumped. Hope the local and state taxpayers there aren't on the hook for very much corporate welfare that was possibly spent to retain Cooper.

Always sorry to see a company leave Montana. OTOH, if quality is suffering (mine are all pretty old, and they're fine), better to be bought by someone like Nighthawk than someone like Remington as Dakota was.

The sad thing is, that, AFAIK, that will leave no company offering a rifle with a test target (and the load used to produce the target, if it was a bullet you liked). Unless Nighthawk continues that.

I have no doubt NightHawk will return it to a quality product unlike Marlin to Remington or others mentioned before. Price will likely increase as well.
Does anyone know about the smiths? Any possibility one of them start a Montana based company now as Dan did back in the 90's?

I have many older Coopers and they are all
great shooters. Hopefully NightHawk will carry
on the good work.