• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Nighthawk Acquires Cooper Firearms

KyCarl

I am pleased to announce that Nighthawk Custom LLC has acquired Cooper Firearms of Montana, known for custom bolt-action rifles. The rifle company will now operate as Cooper Rifles of Arkansas LLC and will be located on the same campus as Nighthawk Custom in Northwest Arkansas. Nighthawk Custom will proudly be the exclusive distributor of all Cooper Rifles.......Mark Stone
I have looked at Coopers often. Wrong place?? please move

I've always loved Coopers. They are a rifle that I could always count on being tack drivers. I will be interested to see if the same quality is kept and what happens to the prices.

If theyre the exclusive dealer for them, prepare to be paying exclusive pricing.
That was my first thought too, that their dealers just got screwed. So, no more working with your favorite dealer to order any longer? Or are they just talking about the distributor level, so the actual firearm company doesn't have to do that part- getting them to dealers.

They needed new owners !! Friend of mine got 2 hunting rifles from them last year , more than a year late after he ordered them. Had serious issues with the bolts being very tight and difficult to open before he even fired them. Took them back to there shop and they could not, and or did not repair them. Ended up getting them fixed by a gunsmith in Helena with his own money. Very regretful that he ever did business with them. They were a good outfit many years ago before they changed ownership, but have been sinking ever since. Hope it works out for the better.

So, they will likely scrap quite a bit of tooling as opposed to moving it and get all new employees (labor). That doesn't make me think smooth transition. I wonder what the purpose of the purchase was? They had their own design which was good, but I would not buy that design to build it. I would build a std 700 pattern. Crazy.

So what is Nighthawk doing?

Parent company and owners as I see it.
If they start changing what Cooper has built it is a Kimber of Oregon story all over again.
Or, when Don and Norma Allen got out of Dakota.

Obviously this will be a wait and see situation. Nighthawk is known for high quality custom products. Given the reported issues with Cooper in recent times, this may be a very good thing. Ownership changes can actually be good thing if the new ownership brings a focus on producing uncompromising quality. Typically this brings a higher price, but there are many people that seek out uncompromising quality and are willing to pay for it.

Recent Posts