Nightforce not supporting there older scopes

TAC

I recently bought a 3.5-15X56 Nightforce Varminter model scope from a guy at the local range, but before I did I called night force to see if they could install target turrets on it since this model did not have them. The guy I spoke to (I won't use his name) said yes, they could and that they have the target turrets in stock. So, I called the guy back selling the scope and bought it. I promptly packed it up and sent it in to Nightforce to have the turrets installed.

A couple of days went by and I got a call from the guy at Nightforce doing the work and he said, sorry we're out of the turrets and we need to check with the supplier – I'll send your scope back (since I was planning to elk hunt with it) and call me in a couple of weeks.

So a couple of weeks go by and I call to see if the turrets are in and I'm told since they don't make that scope anymore, they aren't going to order turrets for it - because they need to order in bulk and it would be too expensive.

Well, I mull it over for a couple of days and realize I really don't like that answer since I bought the scope after I confirmed with Nightforce that they had the turrets and could install them.

I called and spoke to the receptionist and had her connect me with manager's voice mail. I explained my situation and asked to be called back. Within an hour Brian called and explained to me that those knobs were aftermarket (although installed by Nightforce) and that since the scope was ten years old, they could not get them anymore (not the same answer I got from the other guy).

I explained my situation and that I bought the scope after I had asked them about the knobs and is there anything they could do to help rectify the situation – trade in credit or something – all I got was a sorry and that he'll bring it up with the owner.

****, it's a good scope, but a coin slot does not cut it for me.

TAC

Jeff 300,

Yes, I called Kenton and they said that the Sightron or Tasco Stoney Point knobs might work (same threads), but that they will be a bear to find since they're not made anymore. I'm looking around to see if anyone has them.

TAC

Jeff 300,

Yes, I called Kenton and they said that the Sightron or Tasco Stoney Point knobs might work (same threads), but that they will be a bear to find since they're not made anymore. I'm looking around to see if anyone has them.

TAC

Hi Tac,
I'm surprised because 3 wks ago I contact my selft Kenton and ask for knobs for my Sightron scope, and they told me they have in stock also for Nightforce.
Here is the link:
Picture Gallery

Chris

Chirs,

I spoke to them two days ago and it was they who told me to look for the Stoney Point, Sightron or Tasco turrets. Now they may have Sightron and Nightforce target knobs but I need a Stoney point type adapter for the coin slot adjuster I have now (...a poor design from go).

I'll call them again and check just to make sure.

TAC

Fireball168,

That is exactly what I did! Nightforce make a great product, infact they offer a life time warranty, but if you look at one of the posts on Snipershide a guy with a benchrest scope sent his in for a turret problem and they gave him three options, none of which were replacing the bad turret. Surely you see that is wrong and sucks if you own one of there older scopes. I have not heard of Leupold doing that to anyone, have you?

I know for some this is beating a dead horse to death - I can hear the sighs. but I spent a good amount of money on a scope after they told me I could change out the turrets. But once I sent it in they said oops, sorry we don't have any more. :mad:

So, I'm going to continue beating this horse until I feel a little better.

TAC

Fireball168,

That is exactly what I did! Nightforce make a great product, infact they offer a life time warranty, but if you look at one of the posts on Snipershide a guy with a benchrest scope sent his in for a turret problem and they gave him three options, none of which were replacing the bad turret. Surely you see that is wrong and sucks if you own one of there older scopes. I have not heard of Leupold doing that to anyone, have you?

I know for some this is beating a dead horse to death - I can hear the sighs. but I spent a good amount of money on a scope after they told me I could change out the turrets. But once I sent it in they said oops, sorry we don't have any more. :mad:

So, I'm going to continue beating this horse until I feel a little better.

TAC

So, sell it and buy a Leupy. What kind of reticle and how cheap did you get it off the guy at the local range? Maybe I'll be interested. I have some leupy's maybe we can work out a trade.

AJ

AJ

It's a 3.5-15X56 with the NP1-RR ranging reticule. I bought it to go on my 6.5-284. I paid $750.00 for it and would sell it outright for the same amount.
I've got the original box as well. The scope was mostly a safe queen and is in great shape. If you have a 30mm long range Lupi I would be interested in a trade, or just selling it outright.

If you're not interested I'll post on line this weekend.

TAC

Fireball168,

Surely you see that is wrong and sucks if you own one of there older scopes.

I have not heard of Leupold doing that to anyone, have you?
TAC

Not three weeks ago, a fellow on AR15.com was selling the same scope, which I identified as the "Varminter" line after talking to Nightforce. I was interested in it as well.

A call to Nightforce, with the serial number, revealed the same thing you are talking about here.

Calling and saying it was a 3.5-15x56 would likely get you a different answer, as depending on who you got on the phone...and if they asked you if it was an NXS or not.....

You bought a older USED scope. There isn't anything WRONG there, yeah it sucks, but it isn't WRONG.

The only obligation, if any, is in some states they have to supply service parts for X many years. I suspect based on other similar product statutes that the law would not apply to subsequent owners.

Parts Availability Laws by State

Leupold, Burris and Aimpoint have all offered me coupons, discounts, etc. in the past when a product that was no longer supported needed service.

IOR on the other hand, gave me the address to Romania, and told me it would be awhile, if the scope made it through and back out of customs at all.

Where did everyone cry and whine before the internet. Are they denying to warranty the scope. No. They just don't have accessories for your 10 year old scope. Maybe next time you won't be so cheap when buying a scope. If you wanted a scope with target turrents then you should have bought one with them on it.

Ya know I had a problem that was similar in nature. I purchased a 1994 Impala SS. Wow what a great car. It needed new door panels and seats it was almost ten years old.

Well Ebay and some other sites were my only hope for "like new" stuff and paid out the nose for it too 1k for door panels in mint condition.

Like your scope, having purchased a ten year old product your asking a lot in an industry that changes technology at a fast pace. Your asking even more for a scope that is no longer produced to be fixed or modified.

Did you attempt to contact the company in Australia where they originated from? They may have them in stock sometimes overseas markets keep outdated products in service in their own country.

Try selling it and pawn it off on some other sap and let him deal with the problem or accept that you purchased a ten year old product and got the wrong info from someone who was probably 10 when the scope was first made and is working his way through college and could really give a crap less for your misfortune.

It sucks but the lesson here is "trying to polish a turd might work but its still a turd" and if you buy a ten year old product expect ten year old parts if they still exist.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.