NF Beast in hand, S&B, Steiner Military, comparisons

Jim See

LRH Sponsor
We got a pre-production beast in at the Surgeon Rifle shop today and did a comparison with the above and many more.
I have been running the Steiner on my tactical/Precision Rifle Match gun, and have been liking it, very repeatable. We have yet to shoot the Beast yet but did a clarity/definition test on it today side by side.

Of the three I and others thought the S&B and the Beast were equals in glass quality, just edging out the Steiner at a very close third. One of the guys thought the Beast had a slight advantage on the S&B, but I could really not see a difference with my 43 year old eyes.

My thoughts on the .2 mil elevation spacing with the lever. I can see it being a plus if you low and need to come up a tenth while shooting. basically without looking you could reach up and throw the lever. But if you need to come down a tenth it would require a .2 click down and a throw of the lever to come up a tenth to make the one tenth down adjustment.

In comparison this puts the beast above the Steiner which has very close single tenth click adj. and the S&B which also has close spaced adj. With the .2 on the beast your .2 lines are well spaced visually and tactically. I have gotten used to the close clicks on the Steiner and have only a slight aversion against the S&B which has a heavier click at 1 and 1/2 mil stations, as it is sometimes difficult to quickly adjust one tenth over the above mentioned heavier clicks as putting on one usually results in an over turn adding .2 .

As far as match shooting goes and the resolution of the 3 scopes, How usable is that resolution when we often shoot multiple distances in rapid succession with-out adjusting paralax? In the single distance with the time to finely focus they do show an advantage, over the Steiner

I'll see if I can get some trigger time on it and see how it runs.

Jim
How would the Beast compare against the Razor? This last year Ed and I had a hard time finding the gain of the Smitty over the Razor being worth another $1400.00 other then additional mag.

Thanks for the info

osoh

osoh, I think once glass gets to these levels one can be judged as better but how much better is the question. When dialed down to 20 power we compared them to my Razor and the difference was apparent but it was not enough to hamper target identification or ability to shoot a small target. The high end scopes had the advantage of a bigger objective lens over the razor and as everyone knows when you dial down off of max magnfication the image appears to get "cleaner" so that was also an advantage in the 20x comparison. In particular I think the one thing that stood out was that with the S&B, and Beast you could see a little more detail in the shadows over the Razor and to a lesser extent the Steiner.

I have a quick question for you concerning the Beast, have you had a chance to look through an ATACR while the Beast was present to compare the two? I know that they are both using ED glass, and that they both have the 56mm objective, but I was kind of curious as to whether the glass in the Beast was appreciably better then that in the ATACR. I know that it might be splitting hairs and that the Beast will offer other advantages, but is the glass itself comparable or is the Beast in another league over the ATACR? After reading Broz's review on the ATACR the Beast would have to be simply amazing if it has a noticeable advantage in glass over the ATACR...

Wade Ran the Beast at the Bushnell brawl last week and made the comment that it was as good as running his S&B, with the exception that the 2 tenths spacing on the turret with the throw lever for one tenth adjustments threw him for a loop a few times, but like anything new it takes some getting used to.

Does anybody run the march in the 25x or have you had a chance to view them, comparitive to Beast.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts