Next Rem700 Build?

HighBoard

I don't post much & hopefully this is an acceptable place to ask the question.

Currently trying to decide the next build. Already have plenty of barrel blanks 22 thru 338, donor actions & stocks.

I am not a gunsmith, but I do play one in my home / garage shop.
Rem 700 I Have built: 260rem (x-caliber), 280 (shillen), 280AI (shillen), 300WM (kreiger), 308win (bartlien), 243 (shillen), 338EDGE (bartlien).

I mostly punch paper & steel out to 464yds, occasionally out to 1000yd. Also hunt whitetail / hog in SC (480 yd max).

Iv'e been struggling getting a decent group with good velocity for the 280AI. It's been disappointing & frustrating TBH. I really want to like this chambering. Just venting here I suppose... Iv'e tried searching forums to see if anyone else has worked out accuracy issues with the 280AI, but no luck so far.

I love the accuracy of my 260rem so much I thought about building another, but ultimately would like something different than whats already in the stable.

Thinking maybe: one of the WSM's, 25-06, 7mm-08 filling a small gap here, bob, creedmores...
Would rather not duplicate (ie: 260 vs 6.5x55swede).

Must say, I really enjoyed building the EDGE on a 700 L/A. There were several features that required milling of the action: ejection port, bolt stop, mag well, etc.. Nothing difficult, but certainly more fun than standard action blueprinting.

Sorry, got a little long winded here.
Suggestions?
(I do reload)

Iv'e been struggling getting a decent group with good velocity for the 280AI. It's been disappointing & frustrating TBH. I really want to like this chambering. Just venting here I suppose... Iv'e tried searching forums to see if anyone else has worked out accuracy issues with the 280AI, but no luck so far.

There must be a bedding or barrel issue with your 280 AI because it is one of the most responsive
cartridges to good loads I have ever seen. It will out perform the 7 Rem Mag in many cases in both accuracy and velocity.

It does require the right twist rate (1 in 9 is the best I have found) and 140 to 160 grain bullets
are the ticket in my opinion.

I still chamber to the old 280 AI dimensions and stay clear of the new Nosler loading because of the head space issue. And the fact that you can shoot any other factory 280 ammo in the "Original" chamber without having to fire form it first. Accuracy with most factory ammo will be somewhere less that 1 MOA while fire forming and can be used for hunting (Fire forming your brass while Hunting).

Once you have fire formed your brass, neck size only as long as the loaded rounds will chamber.

There are lots of post and disagreements on the different 280 AIs and you should read as many as
you can find and make up your own mind which way you should go.

Head space is the main concern that I have and the reason I chose to go the route I have.

The 280 AI is probably the best of all of the AIs that are used, and if yours is not performing there is most likely something wrong with your system.

J E CUSTOM

What's wrong withat .280 that you can't get what you expect from it? And, what do you expect?

My expectations may be part of the problem...
I have personally only chambered seven Rem700 rifles. They have all been at least sub .5 MOA with good velocity.

I can get my expected accuracy but velocity is not where I think it should be. With 168VLD's, I have tried: RE22, I7828SSC, I4350 & H4831SC. Haven't cycled thru all powders I have, but expected better results with the few I tried.

Accuracy load:
168 VLD's
55.0 H4831SC, 2592 FPS, .296" @ 100yd, 3.415COAL
Any hotter, accuracy goes south quick.

Best velocity / accuracy (168VLD)
56.5 I7828SSC, 2802 FPS, .686" @ 100yd

Tried multiple powder/primer/seating depth combos.
I get very similar results with 162 AMAX, 160AB & 150 Partition. 150 SGK & 140 Pro-hunter did NOT shoot worth a flip.
Did get some 140 VLD's in and was thinking about giving them a try.

I would be thrilled with these results if it was a factory barrel, but do expect more from custom.

It's a blue-printed M700, shillen match barrel, used a PTG 280AI piloted finish reamer, headspaced @ .0015".
I do neck size the formed brass. Have never turned necks.

The more I think about it, I should probably be happy with those results and move on.

Maybe someone knows a better powder?

Action is bedded & barrel floated.
1-9 twist
Maybe it just doesn't like the 168vld too much.
Will try some 140

What is the barrel contour ?

Heavy bullets like heavy barrels, You may have to go to a lighter bullet to get your barrel to except more powder and less barrel whip.

J E CUSTOM

It's a #5 contour @ 25".

The contour should be fine.

You are just going to have to ferret out the problem (If there is one) or except the existing accuracy
1/2 MOA is not bad, but we all have our standards and try to reach them.

Good luck getting it like you want it.

J E CUSTOM

I have a model 700 in .280 in a Bell and Carlson stock. The factory barrel is free floated and the action has been bedded. So far I've only worked up 1 powder (IMR7878SSC) with the 168 VLDs. Only reached 2670 fps and good accuracy was even slower.

140 VLDs I've had great luck with IMR 4350, H4350 and IMR7878 SSC with the best speed and accuracy coming from IMR7878 SSC measuring .268 @ 2960 fps

Sierra 150 Gamekings I've been working up loads with RL26. Depending on which brass I use, 59.8, 59.9 & 60 gr have all grouped from .27 to .62 with velocity between 2920 to 2952. RL 26 has very good velocity and is more temperature stable with burn rate between RL22 and RL25.
I have Remington and Norma brass and think the Norma brass is much better. My rifle likes neck tension about .0025. The necks have been cleaned up to .014 to .015. I use a Redding body die and competition bushing die. My chamber is not true so I can't just neck size. Once I get the brass straight, neck tension set, it shoots pretty good.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.