Newbie in Montana joined to learn from experienced Hunters

Richard Owl Mirror

Hello Everyone, I moved to Montana 1 1/2 years ago. I have never been involved with firearms or hunting yet, all my friends are avid hunters and have asked me to join them.
A friend has offered to sell me a Savage 116FHSAK in .270 caliber to get me started.
savagemodel116270cal.jpg

My friend recommends this Rifle due to my being Perm. Disabled and says it has enough knock-down power for both Whitetail & Mule Deer, Elk, Bear, Mountain Goat, Mountain Lion etc... without too much of a recoil.
During this spring & summer he and others have said they will assist me in all aspects of using this rifle. Of course, the field dressing can only be learned once an animal has been shot. There is a target range nearby but, most of my friends own land that stretches for miles so, I will be able to practice, practice, practice until hunting season arrives.

Here is a picture of an area just a few miles from my home. I live in a small town near the Beartooth Mountains.

montanaspirit.jpg

I joined this particular site because, from what I've already read there seems to be many with a great amount of experience.
I am hopeful that you will share your knowledge with me so I can become a safe & successful hunter.

The first question I would like to ask of anyone, is if they know where I can find a manual for the Savage 116FHSAK in .270 caliber ? I have looked on the Savage website and they only offer manuals for their most recent Rifles.
I believe this Rifle was manufactured between 1993-1999.

Thank-you in advance, Richard

Richard,

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Looks like you have some good friends and are trying to hook you up nicely. The the .270 Win is an excellent rifle/caliber for all the games you mentioned, esp. with 150gr and up bullets as long as you keep it within its limits. Shot placement is the key!

I used to have a .270 Win but I re-barreled and converted it to .270 AI. I'm fine tuning my loads using 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs.

Again, welcome and enjoy! Happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

Thanks Feenix & Jakelly for the warm welcome !
While I trust my friend who is selling the rifle, he has it listed in an auction next Saturday. He said he would have to buy it through the auction due to it already being listed, unless he gets NO bids on it.
I found this info on a website which estimated gun values.

SavageModel116FHSAK.jpg

I realize it's hard to really give a true estimate of it's condition from the picture but, do these prices sound accurate for this rifle ? I imagine the price may be a little higher due to the inclusion of the scope but, I just need to know that I'm NOT over-paying. I've been on various gun manufacturers websites and notice comparable rifles for under $500. Except they have the Plastic stocks & no scope.

Should I advise my friend I can't go over $550 for this rifle ?
Even if it's in VGood condition, plus the scope. It looks like $550 should be the most I should spend. Any thoughts ?

Have either of you ever hunted around Absarokee, MT ?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts