Newb and a Lee Collet die

Funny that's nearly identical to how I set mine up, the only difference being, I have a Lee classic cast which has stops on the linkage, so once you hit the stops that's it.

The Lee Classic cast is the only Lee press I would buy .

I also have the clasic cast with collet die in 7rm. And I was haveing the same issue as you. But before I go into it let me state that before I got my 7rm I was useing a lee challenger press collet die in 3030win for my contender and never had that issue. So, when I started with the classic cast and 7rm I figured it was the press and tryed useing the challenger and 7rm collet die. The result was identical. So, I then called the factory and was asked to try this,set up the die as instructions state run a case through lower the ram and spin the case 1 third way around and resise. Wola it works perfectly.
PS I also use fed cases and as for the 25 pound force thing I hardly use any preasure on the handle
:D

bit of a learning curve with the lee collet die, but if you clean it, lube it, set it up right, it's well worth the effort. If you are a competent shooter, you will see a difference when you start to do all the "little" things to your reloads.

I have collet dies for 10 different calibers and this is the way I adjust all of them:

Run the lock collar up to the TOP of the threads

DSCN0038.jpg

this will put the lever at the most horizontal when sizing

DSCN0401.jpg

and makes it easier to gauge 25# on the lever

I also order undersized mandrels from Lee (only $5.00 ea but minimum order applies)

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

since I did not have good luck reducing the diameter by spinning against an abrasive (hard to get it reduced and still have it perfectly round and the exact same diameter from top to bottom of mandrel)

I use these and body bump dies. I've had excellent low run out with them. To the op, it sounds like you need to polish your mandrel down or order a smaller one from lee. Do y'all think it would be better to use the collet die first then the body die or the body die then collet die? Reason im now wondering is Because the guy in the video mentioned a slightly rounded shoulder from using the collet, the body die used after the collet should remove this.

I use these and body bump dies. I've had excellent low run out with them. To the op, it sounds like you need to polish your mandrel down or order a smaller one from lee. Do y'all think it would be better to use the collet die first then the body die or the body die then collet die? Reason im now wondering is Because the guy in the video mentioned a slightly rounded shoulder from using the collet, the body die used after the collet should remove this.

I think it's what ever makes you feel all warm and fuzzy about it, the less you work your brass the better. I run mine through the body die first.

I have collet dies for 10 different calibers and this is the way I adjust all of them:

Run the lock collar up to the TOP of the threads

DSCN0038.jpg

this will put the lever at the most horizontal when sizing

DSCN0401.jpg

and makes it easier to gauge 25# on the lever

I also order undersized mandrels from Lee (only $5.00 ea but minimum order applies)

DSCN0051.jpg

DSCN1547.jpg

since I did not have good luck reducing the diameter by spinning against an abrasive (hard to get it reduced and still have it perfectly round and the exact same diameter from top to bottom of mandrel)

If that Redding Boss press will cam over centre it would take a lot of wear and tear off your arm and shoulder . As you do more cases you loose strength and consistent down pressure and get less consistency than camming over centre will achieve . The press should do the work not you. The most leverage is in the last few fractions of an inch of ram movement before it cams over .
See if you can get it to cam over and if it does then just try a few cases like that . I feel sure you will need far less muscle on the handle.

Hey Bb

The Redding Press does cam over but the instructions from Lee for the Collet die state specifically to set your press so it DOES NOT cam over.

I have done it both ways. Once you reach 25# weight on the lever there is no use for any more. The collets have sized the brass onto the mandrel and the brass will not compress any nor will the mandrel. It is easy to just lean onto the lever everytime with the same force. Camming over just puts more stress on your press and the die.

I check all my neck ID's with pin gauges and consistancy is not a problem.

Hey Bb

The Redding Press does cam over but the instructions from Lee for the Collet die state specifically to set your press so it DOES NOT cam over.

I have done it both ways. Once you reach 25# weight on the lever there is no use for any more. The collets have sized the brass onto the mandrel and the brass will not compress any nor will the mandrel. It is easy to just lean onto the lever everytime with the same force. Camming over just puts more stress on your press and the die.

I check all my neck ID's with pin gauges and consistancy is not a problem.

I know that Lee does not advise it. There are two reasons for this. One most Lee presses will not cam over anyway and the other is , if a user does not adjust it correctly to start with and goes a bull at a gate with it then the die can be damaged .

You can not apply exactly the same poundage each time case after case fatigue will set in especially if doing many cases in a batch .
I disagree that extra force is placed on the press system the amount of poundage to size the neck down onto the mandrel remains the same but with cam over you apply less with your arm to get the 25 lbs at the case neck and get a positive place to stop .
Each to his own I guess , it can be done both ways and if you are happy then that is all that matters but in time as your arm ages you will go to cam over . I can size a 223 case neck with one finger on the press handle using cam over .
However working up slowly to the cam over point is the secret to getting it adjusted right. Most that damage the die just whack the die in and lean on the press with their whole body weight to get it to cam over . Result is the top cap blows off .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.