New to reloading

Robert Tant

Alright, I have been thinking about reloading for a while now for a couple reason. 1.hobby as I enjoy the DIY aspect and 2. Save on Ammo allowing me to shoot more. I ordered a seekins havok prohunter ph1 in a 6.5 prc in December and finally received it last week. I found that you cannot find the Ammo anywhere so that pushed me to go ahead and start reloading. I have been looking at buying the Hornady Lock N load progressive reloader. It says I have to buy a shell plate when I buy the reloader and I cannot find one made for the 6.5prc. Does anyone know if another shell plate would work for this round? I have also read a lot about the dies people like and recommend and I believe I will go with Redding. There are a ton of different options for the Redding dies. I will not be shooting competitions just for fun and for hunting so which Redding dies do you recommend? Once again I am going to be new to reloading so I am looking for any advice here and appreciate it all.

there is nothing wrong with a modern progressive, just more to learn at one time.
every pull of the handle does 4 or 5 tasks at once, gets to be one round of ammo for every pull . not a bad idea.
the decider on a progressive is what else are you going to load ?
if no pistol and no semi auto, i would go with hand loading and a quality single stage press for sizing.
that means just a sizing die for the press and all else by hand .
go buy a couple of books on loading and read them do not buy before you do this.

and maybe you should have done more research on your cartridge before buying.

I have used a single stage press for quite some time. Slower but easier to set up and monitor the quality of the loads......especially for some one who is just starting out. Excellent cartridge choice by the way.

I could not, in good conscience, recommend a progressive press to a beginning reloader. I did not say there was anything wrong with one. Too many things to keep an eye on all at one time. I can see where a newbie could get frustrated and either give up totally or worse yet make a horrible mistake.

sorry, but it is a machine tool designed to do a job.
used by 1000's of people with NO ISSUES.
the issue is when the user thinks they are smarter than the machine and must check everything that is going on instead of letting the machine do its job.
some people should not own a progressive press ,they give the tool a bad name.
i learned on a progressive..it was a star and i was 9 years old. i am 70 and still have all my fingers, never blew up a gun.

I could not, in good conscience, recommend a progressive press to a beginning reloader. I did not say there was anything wrong with one. Too many things to keep an eye on all at one time. I can see where a newbie could get frustrated and either give up totally or worse yet make a horrible mistake.

Starting out I highly recommend the single stage press. Dependable & easy to set up. I have an RCBS Rockchucker I bought new the first year it came ( 1967 ) & have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on it & it still works perfectly. A single stage press , PRC dies & the appropriate shell holder , your ready to go. A progressive cost more & requires more attention to detail. I might even recommend a used press till you get comfortable with reloading & understand more about it. Take your time.

Twould be a royal PITA trying to develop loads a few rounds at a time using a progressive.
Initially, you will likely be using only a couple of the press's capabilities and be hand weighing powder charges.

Last edited:
Single stage, let's you learn all the little, but VERY important things you need to know and understand when trying to develop a load that can shoot as well as the rifle is capable, nothing wrong with a progressive press, faster and better for volume loading. I own a Dillion and with all the accessories you will have a great setup for loading many rounds in a short time, put like Antelopedundee has said, it will NOT help you develop a load. Get a single stage press, learn, go slow and read all the loading manuals you can get your hands on, start at the low end with whatever bullet you decide on and work up, it's fun, rewarding, and makes you a better shooter, do not rush into something where a simple mistake can make you wish you had approached it more carefully.

IMHO the first question anyone should ask before they start reloading is: "What is the purpose of the exercise?" Mass quantities of ammo in the shortest time, or the most accurate, precision ammo or something in between. In my case, and being relatively new at reloading, I want to do all three, for different calibers for different goals. Lots of pistol quickly, .223 for both reliability and longer range shooting, and then .308 and 6.5CM for ultra precise long range shooting, all that is correctly and safely loaded. I do all three on a single stage rock Chucker Supreme. In this case, I see a single caliber of not (currently) mainstream ammo that you want to reload. The caliber and rifle indicates long range precision is a or the goal. You really (IMHO) cannot mass-produce precision ammo on a progressive press as a starting reloader. You are, at least in the beginning, hand-checking EACH step of EACH round. You are also doing a lot of learning as y0u go. IF you get good dies and other equipment, it can be used on ANY press. So if you start with a single stage, quality press to learn on, yo0u can later go to a progressive IF that then meets you your experienced needs. Let me throw in that you will need to clean cases, and I found a second single stage press and with a universal decapping die lets me get my ammo ready for tumbling, including primer pocket, and THAT saves me a lot time. I can then go on and size them, throw in the ultrasonic to get lube off and cut down on primer pocket cleaning and finish loading. You could later use the single stage for prep and a progressive for faster loading. Bottom line: In the beginning you face a step learning curve, and starting slow, controlling and learning each step well is highly advised. AND I highly advise you develop and use a checklist to make sure you do not miss or skip steps! Good luck!

I'm a single stage reloader too but I also have a turrent press. I feel the single stage is much more Ideal for a beginning reloader. Much more control over everthing. The most timely parts of reloading have to do with preparing the brass properly and a progressive press won't help you at all with that chore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.