New to handgun

EastHunter

Im looking to get my first handgun this summer and wonder what will be best?
Some pepole told me to go with 22 . Im just looking to get a gun for the fun of shooting it. The new berrata look good if i go rimfire.

Thank for your help.

Look up IHMSA.org and look up your state director and give them a call to find a match in your area and go to a match. I'm sure there will be plenty of guys/gals that will let you shoot their gun and see what you like. Besides shooting steel is lots of fun.
Or let me know your state and I can get you in touch with someone.
I've shot over in Ohio a few times and met a lot of great people from the east.

Some pepole told me to go with 22 . Im just looking to get a gun for the fun of shooting it. The new berrata look good if i go rimfire.

Thank for your help.

If you want the best of both worlds look into this. Get a savage short action.

Look into these rigs.....PDC Custom Rifle Stocks

Craig is the guy that makes these and I was talking to him about a build using a short action detach ai mag (5 round) with a stock that you could remove the butt stock and shoot it as a pistol. Then if you wanted to you could put the butt stock on. This will problaby be my next build. Ain't cheap though.

I shoot my long range pistol with a 5.5 x 22 nightforce rifle scope and my rig is chambered in 6.5x284. The recoil is almost nothing with a brake like a holland and I shoot it most of the time with my eye about 4" from the scope. You could have a medium chamber like the 260 rem, 6.5 x 47 Lapua, 6.5 x 284 or 243AI then if you want you could switch barrels and use a 7wsm for example for long range on larger animals. With a longer tube on the 7wsm you are good out to 1k on elk. This is where the butt stock might come into play.

Thank for your help.

Nothing wrong with a rimfire.
All depends what you want to accomplish with your handgun???
E

Thank for the help. I will only be target shooting with it. The only thing i fear with a rim fire is the no reacol thing!! But having a rimfire for start is a good reason for going to a magnum one of these day.....

A 22 is a good place to focus on good shooting skills.
Sometimes when you start with heavier recoil you begin developing bad habits.

Thank Ernie. It is true for the bad habit thing and it less $$$ to shoot.

Yotefever, i give a call to some near by shooting range and got some "try out" cesion pland. Can wait to try hand gun.

Thank for your help.
If possible, scoot to a NRA, IHMSA small bore pistol shoot in your area. Check out what's being used in the production categories and ask anyone about the one that looks the most interesting? I'll guarantee you....half dozen folks will more than glad to point you in right (Their Firearm of course!80) the right direction!!
Have fun looking,
WolfTrap

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.