New stock for Rem. 700

mrbofus

Looking for advise and opinions for a stock replacement for a Remington 700 30-06.
This has been my primary hunting rifle for many years then kinda worked it way to the back of the safe.

I replaced the stock wood with a boyds thumbhole a few years back and never felt that comfortable with it.

Now I am considering bringing new life to the 700 with a new barell and different stock and glass.

This is by no means a 'long range build" so in YOUR opinions which stock should I look at in the say up to $500 range?

This will be a general hunting rifle carried over many a mountain.

Any input appreciated.
MB

Thanks,

I have been looking at B/C, Mcmillian and HS presision ( on line ) but without actually touching and feeling its hard to pick one.

I know I want synthetic and like the aluminum block.
MB

I've played with all of them at the SHOT Show, and own a few B&Cs, one HS and one McMillan.

It's hard to beat the B&C, and I don't know that the HS is worth the extra $100 difference, especially for a "regular" hunting rifle. The two appear very similar in design and execution. So, I buy the B&C myself and install them on my rifles.

The McMillan is another level, and are at their best with pillars and bedding (though I highly recommend bedding the B&C as well). It's just that I'd never use a McMillan without doing that. Thankfully my McMillan was exquisitely bedded by Hill Country Rifles for the previous owner before I bought it, and it is a wonderful piece.

I've used almost all Remington 700 stocks available out there... In my opinion, for a hunting rifle, you can't go wrong with an H-S Precision Police Tactical stock, preferably with the adjustable length of pull option. I carried this stock into combat in 2002/2003, and can vouch for it's accuracy and dependability.
The other H-S tactical stocks (and McMillans) that have high cheekrests and vertical grips are good-looking, and are excellent for prone and bench shooting, but a hunting rifle (as with a sniper rifle) needs to have a stock that is comfortable shooting in ANY position, since you never know what you'll need to do to make a shot... The vertical/high cheek stocks are also generally heavier than standard contours are.
My favorite stock for the 700, for ANY use, is the Accuracy International AICS 1.5, which runs around $850, but by the time you buy another brand stock that is fully adjustable, than add a detachable magazine bottom metal, you've probably spent more than $850!
Bell&Carlson makes decent stuff - I've used their Lightweight Tactical stock, which runs around $250, and it's a good all-around unit. Also used the fully adjustable A5 unit, which I'm not a fan of - rough blocks, and huge lug recess requiring bedding... All B&Cs have the rough blocks, but that can be overlooked for $250 - but not for $475! Add another $100 and just get an adjustable H-S or Manners T2/T4!
I recently ordered a Choate "Ultimate Sniper" stock for a customer, and for $200, was actually surprised at the quality. I was expecting a piece of crap, but it actually seems decently built, with a decent V block for bedding. Although tacky looking, and extremely heavy, that might fancy you.
Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.