new scope choices

Savagebien

after shooting 300 and 400 meters the first time with my plain 3-9 scope and wanting to be able to shoot 500 meters more easily i think i will need to invest in a new scope. a friend of mine has a BSA 4-16 with mil dot reticle sells for about a hundred. he has had pretty good luck, has good reviews on cabelas site, what do u guys think about them? i was also looking at nikon monarchs and bushnell some i will probly be willing to spend up to 300 and want a 4-14.5 or 4-16 with mil dot. thanks for any suggestions!

BSA = Buy Scope Again......Barely See Anything.....Been Screwed Again.....etc.

Seriously, don't waste your money........at your price point, you will have a hard time beating a Nikon Buckmaster......

I hate haters

I have a Leupold 35x Competition series scope sitting on my bench. I have two (2) 36x BSA scopes mounted on my competition rifles. Speaking strictly from 100 yard centerfire benchrest competition, I have more faith in my $80 eBay BSAs than I do the Leupold.

I don't have an opinion of the repeatability as I don't need to adjust much at 100 yards nor can I vouch for their variable power scopes.

But if you THINK that a $1500 scope makes you a better hunter and you can afford one, then by all means, get one. Kinda like the placebo effect.

If you can't afford $1500, buy what you can and get to know it. Intimately. There are very few products that can make someone a better shot, only practice, practice, practice can do that. When you can afford to move up, then move up to higher quality equipment.

I compete in hunter class/factory class with a completely stock Rem 700, not even action bedded, with a BSA scope, all my ammo has been loaded before I leave the house and I don't even own flags (I don't compete to win, just practice with what I would hunt with). My scores/aggs have been better than some (not all) of the competitiors in custom class shooting Pandas and BATs with Nightforce scopes, reloading at the bench and using flags.

I guess I am trying to say, he who spends the most doesn't always win.

Rocky

Well If it were me I would go with the I.O.R in 3x18x42 ,I have one of the tactical 2x12 s on my Tikka 308 and think the glass is one of the best out there, I just recently bought a Remington VLS in 243 and as soon as I have the cash I will take the Luepold 4x 14 VXIII off and replace it with the I.O.R 3x18. Its not that I dislike any other product, I just happen to like the I.O.R .for the quality and price.
Bucky

After reading Rockys post you may have faith in a BSA, and no doubt he has good luck with his, but I surely wouldn't mount one on my LR rifle. I tried one at a 300yd range once and it couldn't track worth S*%T when attempting shots at 1,2 and 300. If you're going to shoot at paper/targets at a set range all the time, tracking won't matter but if you're going to use it for hunting at varying distances, I say save the 100.00 and spend another 1-200 and get something that you know has a good rep and can withstand some punishment. The Bushy 3200 that was mentioned would be good, I used one for a day and was very impressed. The guy I know paid less then the 329.00 mentioned in a previous post. He got it at Brunos shooters supply, checking price...

They have the 5-15x mildot with Tac knobs for 296.40, and the multi-x model for only 259.00, that's pretty affordable I'd say. I can't comment on Monarchs as I've never used them. Don't come back whining if you mount a cheap @$$ scope and realized you wasted time and $$, we will just say we told ya so.

I'd sell my 5-15 mil dot with tac knob for $250 plus shipping. I love it. It's a great scope, but I want to try the Bushnell 6500.

geargrinder, I sent you a PM Friday afternoon. If you haven't seen it get back to me when possible. If you did see it, I assume you're not interested :)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.