New Rifle!

Yorkplates

I just purchased a Sako Stainless Synthetic rifle in .308!

There are a few things that I've noticed that make me a bit curious. First of all when I looked the rifle over I noticed that it doesn't have the Key-Concept locking device. Does anyone know why it wouldn't? This doesn't hurt my feelings one bit!! Actually I despise integrated locking systems on any firearm, but I was going to ignore it on this rifle because I loved every other thing about it. Secondly, I thought it was a 75 model. I guess it still is, but it just has Sako III on the receiver and the serial number and Sako symbol. Is that normal? All in all, this is a sharp rifle and the action is really nice. The trigger is very crisp and I guess someone must have adjusted it down to the lightest weight because it doesn't take much!! Unlike the Weatherby Accumark 30-378 I once had. Removeable mags aren't my favorite thing outside the world of ARs, but this one is nice!! I'm going to go after a few more of the mags. EVERYTHING mechanical is stainless! That's nice too! I was going to let fiftydriver build a rifle up from a Rem. 700 action, but I think he could make this a sexy piece of work with some aftermarket goodies.

Sakofan has shared his Sako input. Anyone else have any ideas about this rifle and what it can become? Any aftermarket suggestions? Not as many options as Rem. (sorry fiftydriver), but I have found a few things that will certainly do. I think after the folks at McMillan and Krieger have their input, and a visit to Fort Shaw, Montana and this little lady might just get someone's attention.

Congrats on the purchase. Love the rifle and the caliber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www.sako.fi/
(Sako website)

The "III" on the receiver, is a action designation.
III is for 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, and .308.
My .300 Win mag is a V.

Is the rifle new? All new Sako's have the Key Concept, I believe. Mine did.
If it's unfired, maybe you have an older model. Or maybe someone else can elaborate on that.

As far as aftermarket add ons, I don't know if you need any.
That's the thing about the Sako 75, it's ready to roll out of the box!

What rings/scope mount are you going with??

Congrats again, and welcome to the Sako cult!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif...sakofan.. The web addy above should answer some questions for you too.

Not sure if you have mounts yet. I do not like the Sako mounting system, makes absolutely no sense to have all those parts which make the scope sit higher than necessary. Suggest you look at the Warne Sako mounts, one piece (ring only, no base portion) that fit right to the dovetail milled in the top of the receiver. I put them on my 75's and they look great, work perfect. Sako used to make their rings clamp direct to the dovetail, for some reason they came up with the ugly Opti's - look like hell, spoil the looks of a fine rifle.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you have mounts yet. I do not like the Sako mounting system, makes absolutely no sense to have all those parts which make the scope sit higher than necessary. Suggest you look at the Warne Sako mounts, one piece (ring only, no base portion) that fit right to the dovetail milled in the top of the receiver. I put them on my 75's and they look great, work perfect. Sako used to make their rings clamp direct to the dovetail, for some reason they came up with the ugly Opti's - look like hell, spoil the looks of a fine rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!! To the 10th power!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Optilocs suck!!

I like Conetrol mounts/rings, or maybe Talleys new aluminum rings everyone is raving about. I haven't seen them myself.

I ran Leupold rings with mine and loved them. They matched the rifle barrel/scope perfectly, returned to zero reasonably well...sakofan...

Auburn... I had the exact same rifle... no keylock shroud... it was an earlier "Stoeger" import... I loved everything about it, didn't plan on doing anything to it except lightening the trigger pull (very nice and easily adjustable trigger)... in my case, however, when I removed the stock to mill out (clearance) the bolt handle cutout I discovered the stock was cracked at the recoil lug area... it was a bargain, but not if I had to replace the stock; I returned the rifle; guess I'm just spoiled by the McMillan custom stocks to the point where it's hard to accept anything lesser... my guess is you'll be very happy with your Sako... I would however go to Remington or custom action for all out custom rifle... good shooting... Larry

Larry O,
I found hairline cracks inside both of my 75 stocks - guess what - they are apparently inherent in the manufacturing process. At least that is what an executive at Stoeger told me - they are in all composite stocks for the 75. Very small, not easy to spot, not a big deal according to the guy I complained to. You are correct, McMillans don't have any boo-boos and are much tougher.

Ian... thanks for your response... the crack I noticed was "hairline" but went completely through the recoil lug area of the stock, made it impossible for me to have confidence from that point on... would love to have put it in a McMillan stock and kept it, but the end cost made that "impractical"...dealer did say Beretta would replace the stock free of charge, but they wouldn't "upgrade" for addtional cost or sell the barrelled action sans stock...so I moved on... Larry

[ QUOTE ]
Is the rifle new? All new Sako's have the Key Concept, I believe. Mine did.

What rings/scope mount are you going with??

[/ QUOTE ]

It better be new! Well, it better be unfired! If it's an older rifle, that's fine. I'd just like to know more about it. Kinda cool serial # 444007 It does look as if someone slipped some bases or rings on the receiver, but I cleaned up in the dove tail crevice and you'd never know it now. I haven't decided on the rings and bases yet. The OptiMounts came with the rifle, but they're blued and I want some stainless ones. I'm looking for something really hardcore in my rings and or bases. Stainless and extremely tough! Cost not a big issue. (You wouldn't make Jennifer Anniston wear a CZ) All recommendations welcome.

[ QUOTE ]
Auburn... I had the exact same rifle... no keylock shroud... it was an earlier "Stoeger" import... I loved everything about it, didn't plan on doing anything to it except lightening the trigger pull (very nice and easily adjustable trigger)... in my case, however, when I removed the stock to mill out (clearance) the bolt handle cutout I discovered the stock was cracked at the recoil lug area... it was a bargain, but not if I had to replace the stock; I returned the rifle; guess I'm just spoiled by the McMillan custom stocks to the point where it's hard to accept anything lesser... my guess is you'll be very happy with your Sako... I would however go to Remington or custom action for all out custom rifle... good shooting... Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine has the Beretta import stamp on the right side of the barrel. Kinda strange. I am concerned about the faulty stainless barrel batch that they recalled. I am going to call before I fire it.

Conetrol will make a set of stainless rings for you.
You will have a slight waiting time, but it will be worth it.
I like Conetrols. They are a b&$^h to install, but once they are installed you should have no problems...sakofan..

Auburn... Beretta can provide you with recall info with your serial number... these were all 2004 models... also take a look inside the stock in the recoil lug area, just to be on the safe side, and when you remove the stock, check for proper torque on the action screws when you break them...before shooting!

I love this rifle and would like to find a barreled action exactly like this to commit to for whitetail...oh yeah, the design of the receiver dovetail makes for a strong ring mount, no matter what you go with, as it tapers wider toward the front, making it super strong during recoil...at least theoretically... good shooting....thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts