New Rifle by Remington

I think that Savage is now owned by the same group. I hope they don't start turning out trash, too. I have not been impressed with Remington quality since they sold out to Freedom Group. I have a Remington SPS that shoots great, but it sure does not have the feel of an old 700.

like most "new" things, all the "experts" slam 'em. BUT they don't own one, haven't actually SHOT one, never SEEN one, etc. I'll reserve judgement until I can say thru personal experience if good/bad/indifferent. personally, I like the bbl. nut idea, have built many rifles using that system on Rem. 700's and quality bbl's. and they are amazing shooters. Just waiting to see if the new action is stiff enuf to be useful.

I've seen a few of them, have handled them but never shot one. I agree the stock is a complete joke. The trigger felt rough to me. But have no real complaint. Compared to my 700 Remington, it's a toy. Yet I also remember what my 700 was like out of the box (4.25" groups with hand loads). I figure the 783 has to be better than that!

Now we can pretty much expect somebody like Rifle Basix to come out with a new trigger, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. The barrel is probably suspect, but most factory barrels out of that group are anyway. One thing I didn't look at on the 783, was the way the bolt was designed. If the head floats like a Savage, I'll consider that a plus. The one serious issue I saw was they stock, and for some of us this can be a major issue.

sort of consider the Remington 783 a "homologated design" in that it takes ideas others have proven out, and incorporates them into their own design. Marlin did this with their old MR-7. Didn't catch on, but was a good sound idea.
Nothing like the newer Marlin bolt gun. I own one and love it for what it was built for. (light weight hunting rifle in a long action). To me it almost had everything going for it. Winchester style safety, Browning style magazine, Remington style bolt head in a nice compact 30-06. I'd liked to have seen them add a barrel nut to make it complete! The rifle is fairly light weight, so 180 grain bullets are quite noticeable (doesn't seem to like them much anyway). Anyway; had I been Remington, this is where I would have started.
gary

I think that Savage is now owned by the same group. I hope they don't start turning out trash, too. I have not been impressed with Remington quality since they sold out to Freedom Group. I have a Remington SPS that shoots great, but it sure does not have the feel of an old 700.

sbhooper
FYI: Savage Arms is in the process of being incorporated (bought) into the ATK group: (Federal, Weaver, CCI, RCBS), & recently acquired Bushnell also.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.