New Rifle arriving Shortly. Need a Load! take a look

matt_3479

I order a Remington 700 SPS Varmint Chambered in a 243. win which will be my first Varmint/Coyote rifle even though i have hunted coyotes before. I got addicted to coyote hunting after the first time and i knew i need a rifle. I have been looking for loads for the past couple days but have no luck. Heres the situation.

-The rifle will be arriving around Monday.
- I have Reloader 17 and 22 as well as Hodgdon H380 and H4895.
- Shots will be as far as 600 yards with the majority 300 and less.
- Looking for strictly a coyote round.

So far it looks like the 55 grain Nosler B-Tip, 70 Grain Nosler B-Tip and the 87 Grain V-Max are the most popular.

I am wondering if anyone has a load they wouldn't mind sharing? im willing to get another powder obviously if needed? Remember only a coyote round, i dont need it for deer!

matt,
I got .4015" from the 70gn Ballistic Tip using 40.5gn of IMR4895 (not Hodgdon) and BR2 primers. My OAL was 2..2495" but I run everything .010" if the bullets are long enough.
My rifle likes the 85-90gn range of any bullet using 44.0-44.5gn of IMR4831 and BR2's. I have had the best accuracy and stability at 600yds with the 95gn Ballistic Tip, 44.0gn of VihtaVuori N560 and BR2's.
I have never shot the 55gn in my current rifle but I have the 65gn V-max. While these are quiet terminal and explosive on crows and groundhogs, they don't hold up very well in the wind past 350yds, in my experience.
Good luck and keep us posted. JohnnyK.

The 70gr Nosler BT and a stout dose of varget ( 41 - 42 grains ) has been very accurate for me. Out to 600 you might want to go to a 90 Nosler BT over either Varget or H-4350. I shoot H-4350 ( 41.6 grains ) with 95 grain berger VLD's that works very well also .

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.