New Mexico Rifle Elk

Trappernewt

Got a hunt coming up in 3 weeks. I'll be near Grants New Mexico. Anyone know what the antler quality is like? I've read that there has been decent rainfall over the last 6-8 months.

Got a hunt coming up in 3 weeks. I'll be near Grants New Mexico. Anyone know what the antler quality is like? I've read that there has been decent rainfall over the last 6-8 months.
I might see you there. I've hunted there several times, but south of Grants near Ramah and further south in the unit. The bull in my avatar was shot near there.

So to answer your question, I believe the average bulls fro the most part are in that 290 to 300 inch range with some around the 320 to 330. However, you can get lucky and stumble on a bigger bull. The biggest I have seen in front of me, but could not shoot because he was on the other side of the fence and would not come over on our side was 370. I have him though on video.

lots of moisture through the spring and summer season increase the length and size of the TOPS of the antlers. And, what I understand there was a lot of rain in the area this year so the antler growth should be good.

In my hunting experiences out there, I saw bulls everyday and had many opportunities to take one. However, I am looking for that really big bull so I have "watched" many over the past couple of years walk by. Maybe this year will be my year for that truly monster bull.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes. By the way, the outfitter I hunt with is Keith Williams out of Arizona.

I'm doing a Elk hunt near Tierra Amarilla, Oct. 1-5
It's my first elk hunt and doing it with my 16 year old son,.

Antlers should be descent but not a great year. Rains started a little late to have a huge growth year. Unit 12 has produced some huge bulls in the past so potential is there. They been hunted hard in parts of the unit so quality not what it once was but that part of the long term drought as well. You should have a good hunt with an Oct 8 start.

Im getting in the Penn and Ohio Elk Lottery. If I get drawn, I will be using my 300 Weatherby Mag, with either 180 Grn Nosler Partitions , or 190 Grn. Nosler Accubonds LR. Good Luck to you!!!

I talked with an outfitter who works unit 12 this weekend. He says antler growth is good this year, better than the previous 2 yrs. Also a 400 inch bull was killed in the Gila this weekend, so I would say it's going to be a great year. I wouldn't be surprised for a few 350 plus bulls to come out of unit 12 this yr.

I talked with an outfitter who works unit 12 this weekend. He says antler growth is good this year, better than the previous 2 yrs. Also a 400 inch bull was killed in the Gila this weekend, so I would say it's going to be a great year. I wouldn't be surprised for a few 350 plus bulls to come out of unit 12 this yr.
I hope it's me. Lol.