New mexico oryx

midwesthunter

Anybody have any info on public land for these? I think I might start applying for this hunt even though its a long shot. Would rather do a DIY then through a outfitter. Anybody ever been?

My wife has an off range oryx hunt coming up in march. I will let you know how it goes. I will probably have to pay a trespass fee to get on some property where they are. They hunt the ones that are off range pretty hard because they don't want them off range. You can put in for the once in a lifetime hunt that is on range and have a better chance at getting a nice oryx.

I have hunted them a few times... Both on public land and on the military bases... What are you thinking? I will help were I can. I killed 38 inch bull on the WSMR a few years ago.. it is a great hunt but it can be tough...

J-

I graduated from Eastern New Mexico University while living in New Mexico for a few years. Oryx are beautiful animals that I always wished I had hunted while I was a resident but I was never able to put it together. I lived about an hour from where they were stocked into the desert. I hope you get to do it. Best of luck!

Go with the Once In A lifetime if you apply. The Off Range can be hard to find the animals if you do not have alot of time and know the areas. Great meat and like said a beuatiful animal!

Applied for Stallion Range Jan 10-12 2014...
Any info on range (distance) and caliber for these animals?
I harvested a NV bull Elk this past Nov with a hand loaded 200gr NAB, out of a Savage long range hunter 300WINmag. Stay the same or to heavy?

Your 300 win mag loaded with 200gr NAB will do just fine. You can actually hunt them with .25 caliber rifles and above but I would stick with 30 cal or higher. They are pretty tough critters. These animals are hunted pretty much every month out of the year because they are pretty plentiful and they are trying to keep them under control. So..with that being said, they KNOW that when they see a truck getting close that they need to run. You would be SUPER lucky to get a 100 or 200 yard shot. Most likely you will have a 300 yd and beyond shot. The meat is outstanding. No game taste whatsoever.

Definitely use the 300. I drew a once in a lifetime tag last year and hunted december 1-3. We saw a decent amount, but a lot were broken horns, and they would take off if they saw you even a long way off, so getting close was tough. It took me three stalks to harvest a 39' cow on the second afternoon with a 487 yard shot. We stalked it almost 3 miles to get that close. I hit it about an inch behind the shoulder and it took it like nothing happened. Luckily it ran over a ridge a stopped. Went after it and it dropped on the second shot at 322 yards. If you do draw on range I'd recommend an outfitter as its a short timeframe and a lot of land. I used Antler Addiction Outfitters as I hunted with them before and became friends with the owner. I didn't know it, but they have a reputation as one of the best for oryx.

Definitely use the 300. I drew a once in a lifetime tag last year and hunted december 1-3. We saw a decent amount, but a lot were broken horns, and they would take off if they saw you even a long way off, so getting close was tough. It took me three stalks to harvest a 39' cow on the second afternoon with a 487 yard shot. We stalked it almost 3 miles to get that close. I hit it about an inch behind the shoulder and it took it like nothing happened. Luckily it ran over a ridge a stopped. Went after it and it dropped on the second shot at 322 yards. If you do draw on range I'd recommend an outfitter as its a short timeframe and a lot of land. I used Antler Addiction Outfitters as I hunted with them before and became friends with the owner. I didn't know it, but they have a reputation as one of the best for oryx.

How many years did you apply before you drew?lightbulb
Game retrieval? 3 miles is a long pack out...lightbulb

I drew out after 13 consecutive years of not drawing. And I drew a off range hunt when I had been trying for a on range hunt prior to that.
The off range animals are getting hunted almost year round. If you get a off range hunt be prepared to work for it and maybe not even see a animal. If you are coming from out of state I would recommend either a guided off range hunt or a on base hunt

I agree with everything written here. After shooting a 36 incher this fall, and enjoying the best wild game I've ever consumed, I shall be trying to draw broken horn andoutside the fence hunts as long as I can walk!