New member, long time hunter from Ohio.

347Mustang

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time lurker here, and decided to join, this is one of the very few firearm websites with informed posters and excellent technical articles. I've learned a lot from the site and appreciate the expertise here.

I've been an NRA high power competitor for 15 years, and shoot matches from 200 to 1000 pretty regularly, and have been hunting deer, coyotes and vermin for three decades with everything from .223s to Steyr SSGs to .300 WBY custom rifles, and have been reloading since 8th grade, now I'm in my 40s.

LE background.

Thanks for letting me join the party!

Hey, Welcome 347! Looks like you have quite a resume on long range shooting. I am headed up to Ohio deer hunting for the shotgun season. Got any advice you could give me on Ohio deer hunting? I am hunting the AEP Gavin wildlife area near Rutland, OH. At least, that is the plan.

Hi Sandlapper,

My only advice for those accustomed to long range hunting, is that hunting in Ohio is primarily a stand-based activity. Lots of hunters and woods, including the AEP area you are going.

Best bet is to sit still (blind or stool or treestand) and wait near an active trail intersection near a food source to bedding area where the dear traverse.

No real spot-and-stalk stuff here! Its not like at all like glassing for Muleys out west.

Best of luck,

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.