New man here.

Quinncannon

Hello, new man here! I've been reading posts here for quite some time, I decided I better sign in. I must have forgotten that I actually signed up about ten years ago! This is an excellent place to visit, glad to be here.

I'm a former High Power competitor in Service Rifle, still shoot in non sanctioned club matches, also shoot F T/R as well. I hunt deer every year, but that's about it. More of a target shooter than anything else.

Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome all!

ShtrRdy, my method is pretty basic. Being an ol' High Power competitor, I pretty much stick with just a few basic loads. With a new M1A/M14, I always started with 39.5 grains of IMR 4895, CCI 34 primers, LC cases, 168 grain SMK's, COAL 2.8. I shoot that load to check for accuracy, good reliability, etc. Then I bump up another 1/2 grain, repeat, until I get to 41.5 grains of IMR 4895. That is the load that works for 600 yards, not a barn burner for sure, but good for this type of rifle. With my F T/R rifle, which is a .308, I started pretty much the same, different charges of powder but with 175 grain SMK's and 185 SMK's.

I'm having a Howa 1500 barreled with a Kreiger .308, should be finished soon. Also, coming up is a Winchester M70 pushfeed, which will have a heavy Kreiger and chambered in 30-06. Will follow the same method with them. I'm not long range like most here, but I enjoy shooting 600!

I have been using that same handle with the Appleseed program for about eleven years. Remember Sergeant Major Quinncannon in some of those US Cavalry movies with John Wayne? Quinncannon was played by Victor McLaglen, he also played the big brother to Maureen O'Hara in the Quiet Man, also with John Wayne. In many ways, I'm quite a bit like him.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.