New LRH from Central Maine

smallbutfierce

New to long range hunting/shooting. Actually so new I can't actually say I've done it yet. My 17 years of hunting have been spent mostly chasing white tails through the thickest forest imaginable, and using mostly "brush" guns like 30-30 win, 32 special, and savage model 99 in .308. I have noticed a explosion in the coyote population over the past 10 years or so and I am now seeing them during the day, often. I purchased a Stevens model 200 in .25-06 mostly because it was cheap, but second I read it could be easily built upon and, third I was intrigued by the versatility of the caliber. I am going to run it as-is for this winter, because I will be too busy hunting to do anything to it. But I plan to learn to handload, and continue to read about building long range rifles. So for now I will be "that guy" asking about how I can make my stock rifle better, even though I know the answer is new stock, new barrel, new scope etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.