"New" IOR reviews.

kill_goose

I find myself somewhat in the market for a new scope.

I figure, if im gonna do it im gonna make the jump to mil/mil for sure, and possibly FFP. Id love to be able to get a NF, but $1800'ish is out of the question. And with NF's Nazi like control over its distributors, getting a "deal" on a new one is scarcer than hens teeth.

Used, well its an option, but I prefer to stay away from used optics. Once burned twice shy type of deal.

Ive been researching the snot out of IOR. And having spoken with several distributors now, it seems IOR doesnt have an iron curtain like grip on its dealers when it comes to "suggested retail" price.

From what ive gathered, the early IOR FFP models (2008 and prior or so) had some serious issues.

But, im not getting much info on the new stuff as far as reliability goes (everyone raves about the glass quality). Is it safe to assume that silence on the issue means safety?

Specifically, im looking at the 3.5-18x50, mil/mil, FFP with the illuminated MP8 modified dot reticle.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have a 2.5-10 FFP and I love it. IMO the glass is much better than my Mark 4 it also tracks perfectly and the clicks are very good hope this helps, I am going to get a 3-18-50 to replace my Mark 4.:D

I've had 4 IOR scopes, but they were all older models. I had 2 - 2.5-10's with the MP8 reticle. The first one was mounted on a 7 lb. 300 Jarrett, and had an internal lense pop loose. IOR replaced the scope, and the replacement is still on a 7 Rem mag a friend now owns. I had a 4-14x50 on a 22-250 that ended up with a problem with the adjustable objective and needed repair. That one cost me almost $200 to fix. The last one is a 6-24x50 I still have on that same 22-250. It has been a great scope. I also have a pair of their 7x40 binoculars. I have used these since the mid 90's and carried them for years guiding elk hunters here in Colorado. The are well worn, but have always given flawless service.

I've not heard any reports about the new models, but I can say there were/are many aspects of the IOR scopes I really like. The 6-24 I still use has very repeatable and accurate turret adjustments, great glass, has been accurate all the way to the end of the elevation range of adjustment. I though hard about putting one on my latest build, but decided on a S&B instead.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.