New guy on the block

GaryMcc

I am finally retired and now want to learn about long range shooting. I have purchased a new Mossberg MVP 6.5 Creedmore. I also got a Leupold 5 x 25 56mm Mark 5 scope. I purchased these on recommendation from a friend considering cost and quality. I've never shot at 1000 yards before but have signed up for a class in May. I'm hoping I do well with this purchase. I'd appreciate any feedback folks can give me. Thanks

welcome sir, congrats on retirement. lots of good info here. i have a 6.5 creedmoor myself and it will be a great cartridge for a beginner such as yourself. you'll have no problem punching paper at a grand with good ammo. plus, good quality ammo is available at most big box stores (cabelas, academy, bass pro, etc) for arond $20-$25 box.

i've seen the MVP's before, they look good, but i dont know much about them and have never shot one. post some pics when you get a chance. that's a great scope you've chosen as well.

welcome sir, congrats on retirement. lots of good info here. i have a 6.5 creedmoor myself and it will be a great cartridge for a beginner such as yourself. you'll have no problem punching paper at a grand with good ammo. plus, good quality ammo is available at most big box stores (cabelas, academy, bass pro, etc) for arond $20-$25 box.

i've seen the MVP's before, they look good, but i dont know much about them and have never shot one. post some pics when you get a chance. that's a great scope you've chosen as well.
Thanks for the welcome and kindness. I will post more when available. Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum. It would have been nice if you could have tried some different types of ammo in your new rifle to see what it likes. Well, have fun at the class.

Welcome to the forum. It would have been nice if you could have tried some different types of ammo in your new rifle to see what it likes. Well, have fun at the class.
The instructor has told me to use Hornady 140 elf match ammunition to start. I'll give it a go and see what happens. I thought the same as you but as yet I'm just following directions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.