New Guy From Wa. State

Redd_Daetona

I just joined. I hope to get some good and helpful information regarding my decision to purchase an AR type rifle for some future deer hunting. We are hard core upland bird hunters with a lot of dog training, river fishing, big game, and motorcycle riding thrown in.

This looks like a good site to start with my next phase of info gathering. Anyone have any info regarding the Cristiansen Arms CA-15?

Cheers
Redd :)

Welcome Redd to LRH dont be afraid to jump right in and ask as many questions as you would like, you have found yourself at a very good place to get answers.

Welcome again, JRW

jrw,

Thanx for the reply. Right now I'm in a learning mode relative to my next deer hunting rifle. At this time, I'm planning a remote/drop camp hunting trip for mule deer next season. I currently have way too many shotguns, an old Win Model 70 ( circa 1949 with only 50 rounds thru the tube ) in .270 Win.

I was originally planning to use this gun with an old school Leupold 2 x 7... I would be swapping out the original pristeen stock for a composite after market stock, and call it good. But then I got the itch for a new rifle.

I've owned and shot many bolt action, and single shot rifles from Ruger, Weatherby, and others. Most were either Elk rifles, or they were dedicated whitetail guns. A few in 7mmRem Mag, .270 Win. .243Win, and .250-3000. I wanted something new, and something I've not yet owned and shot. So the AR-15 types have caught my eye, and especially the CA-15 from Christensen Arms. I also liked the R-15 in .30 Rem AR. Neither would be considered long range guns, but 300 yards should be in play? I want the lightest, easiest to carry, most accurate deer gun I can build. It must be light and quick like a good upland bird hunting shotgun, and as accurate as I can may it.

I also have a hankering for the Browning BAR, The Connecticut Shotguns RBL Professional double rifle, and again the single shot Ruger in the No1 A????

So I'm, spinning around, thinking, and trying to come up with a game plan

Redd

Well you already have an awesome deer rifle in that good old .270 and I would bet with some good hand loads its a shooter too. I would, update the optics though if it was me. I really do understand the itch to get a new gun I get that same probably itch 3 times a year. I just try to limit myself to one gun a year so I keep that itch scratched a little and dont go broke. The drop camp muley hunt sounds awesome where are you planning on going, if you dont mind me asking. I am planning a pack in elk hunt for next year with my son if work doesnt get in the way again. Good luck on your gun itch.

JRW

JRW,

I'm looking for a good, lightweight after market composite stock for my old model 70 Winchester. Any good ideas as to who/where to begin my searching? I think I want to get this rifle up and shooting as good as it possibly can. Also new optics will be added to my updates.

Thx
Redd

I would go with a mcmillan stock and make sure you bed the action or have it done. Bedding the action will actually make more of an improvement to your accuracy than the new stock will.

Good Luck, JRW

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.