New guy from RI. Hunt Maine.

98s1lightning

Hey guys.

Just joined as a found a lot of discussion on my favorite bolt action caliber the 284win. I have been hunting Maine since I was a boy and its an amazing place to be outdoors.

I'm not much into long range. 200 yards is the normal long range check for me. I attempted to shoot 300ish once and was surprised at my results, in a good way. A 2.5-8x36 scope is not much use for further than that from what I can tell in experience.

I run a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 284win that I am in process of putting a factory synthetic stock on. I really like the gun but the stock had a lot of error and I had to do some required milling on the Bridgeport to get it to fit. Needs to be bedded now. I have never done that and am weary/cautious and want to get myself more educated before I put the glue down.

Also interested in getting a Ruger M77 in 284 to companion my Browning. I'd like to have one and open the mag to 3.100 versus the 2.800 the Browning has.

I shoot the 150gr partition at 2800fps. I think its everything I need but am curious and would like the ability to shoot the 165 class bullets and the Ruger would fill that need. Also it would make the long range type bullets and option as well. For what I do the long range bullets aren't needed but nice to have options I suppose.

Might be nice to join a gun club and dabble in competition, certainly won't be needing the partition, a premium hunting bullet for that!!!

Either way my rigs are lightweight sporters. I am 5'6" and cannot run a long action gun the ergonomics don't work for me. My fore hand is over the mag box, on a SA my fore hand falls right in the checkering where it belongs.

I also run 348win Model 71 carbine. I'd say that my favorite gun. Great for walking which I enjoy because it keeps me warm when deer hunting. Lots of power and compact package. Comforting to have a lot of horsepower up North where there is a high population of bears and wild dogs (not so much a threat but nice to be able to stop them)

Last edited:
Hey guys.

Just joined as a found a lot of discussion on my favorite boot action caliber the 284win. I have been hunting Maine since I was a boy and its an amazing place to be outdoors.

I'm not much into long range. 200 yards is the normal long range check for me. I attempted to shoot 300ish once and was surprised at my results. A 2.5-8x36 scope is not much use for further than that from what I can tell in experience.

I run a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 284win that I am in process of putting a factory synthetic stock on. I really like the gun but the stock had a lot of error and I had to do some required milling on the Bridgeport to get it to fit. Needs to be bedded now. I have never done that and am weary/cautious and want to get myself more educated before I put the glue down.

Also interested in getting a Ruger M77 in 284 to companion my Browning. I'd like to have one and open the mag to 3.100 versus the 2.800 the Browning has.

I shoot the 150gr partition at 2800fps. I think its everything I need but am curious and would like the ability to shoot the 165 class bullets and the Ruger would fill that need. Also it would make the long range type bullets and option as well. For what I do the long range bullets aren't needed but nice to have options I suppose.

Might be nice to join a gun club and dabble in competition, certainly won't be needing the partition, a premium hunting bullet for that!!!

Either way my rigs are lightweight sporters. I am 5'6" and cannot run a long action gun the ergonomics don't work for me. My fore hand is over the mag box, on a SA my fore hand falls right in the checkering where it belongs.

I also run 348win Model 71 carbine. I'd say that my favorite gun. Great for walking which I enjoy because it keeps me warm when deer hunting. Lots of power and compact package. Comforting to have a lot of horsepower up North where there is a high population of bears and wild dogs (not so much a threat but nice to be able to stop them)
Nice to hear from someone still hunting there. I grew up there and hunted the back woodlots of the neighborhood farms in the midcoast, never made it up north, though we did have the occasional bear and lion. Wolverines actually showed up at one point, that puckered everybody pretty good. Carrying some shiny big iron became pretty fashionable for a little while, this was before EDC was more common. My mentors didn't still-hunt or track, turns out that's what I like a lot better. I envy anyone who is still at it out there, it's not an easy hunt like a lot of guys assume it is. Wish I could make it back during the season now. I think I'd actually fill a tag knowing what I know now.

You're getting good results from a very cramped 284, but a little more flexibility is always good. As a savage owner who's also not tall I'd recommend an older style 10/12 which has a 3" mag. The cabela's exculsives (12FV, 10TSR) are great platforms for a build, easy to rebarrel with lots of great aftermarket stocks. Get out to 2.95" or so and you'll be more than set for woods hunting of anything, and you'll be able to single feed cheap target bullets at wholesome velocities. Do you have specific bullets in mind? You can actually get the 162 ELDs in the mag with a 284 at 2.95". If you want to. II also have some 168 accubond LR downstairs I can measure, those would be close but they might work. I have a 7 saum that I actually built because it was a hair easier and cheaper than the 284 I wanted originally so I'm not just running my mouth. I spent a year planning the 284 then switched at the last minute. The ruger is a cool action, I want one, but the savage has a lot of options and it's all over the counter parts. And they're easy to get very accurate. Just my experience.

Welcome and enjoy. In general it's a very willing to help thoughtful crowd around here.

Nice to hear from someone still hunting there. I grew up there and hunted the back woodlots of the neighborhood farms in the midcoast, never made it up north, though we did have the occasional bear and lion. Wolverines actually showed up at one point, that puckered everybody pretty good. Carrying some shiny big iron became pretty fashionable for a little while, this was before EDC was more common. My mentors didn't still-hunt or track, turns out that's what I like a lot better. I envy anyone who is still at it out there, it's not an easy hunt like a lot of guys assume it is. Wish I could make it back during the season now. I think I'd actually fill a tag knowing what I know now.

You're getting good results from a very cramped 284, but a little more flexibility is always good. As a savage owner who's also not tall I'd recommend an older style 10/12 which has a 3" mag. The cabela's exculsives (12FV, 10TSR) are great platforms for a build, easy to rebarrel with lots of great aftermarket stocks. Get out to 2.95" or so and you'll be more than set for woods hunting of anything, and you'll be able to single feed cheap target bullets at wholesome velocities. Do you have specific bullets in mind? You can actually get the 162 ELDs in the mag with a 284 at 2.95". If you want to. II also have some 168 accubond LR downstairs I can measure, those would be close but they might work. I have a 7 saum that I actually built because it was a hair easier and cheaper than the 284 I wanted originally so I'm not just running my mouth. I spent a year planning the 284 then switched at the last minute. The ruger is a cool action, I want one, but the savage has a lot of options and it's all over the counter parts. And they're easy to get very accurate. Just my experience.

Welcome and enjoy. In general it's a very willing to help thoughtful crowd around here.
Your telling me you've seen mountain lions and wolverines in Maine?

I have not but I believe most anything is possible.

Your telling me you've seen mountain lions and wolverines in Maine?

I have not but I believe most anything is possible.
I have not but my sisters and in laws have. Within a couple miles of where I grew up. Close to the coast too. They didn't know what they were, so I played a sort of flash card game with them like anthropologists do after making them write down what they observed. They actually made really great observers. Later verified with other hunters and farmers who had seen them. There were wolf sightings in the same town from people I trust, but in a weird way I believe that a little less because they were outdoorsmen who were qualified to fill in the blanks, not just ignorantly report what they actually saw in detail. It got to be like the Bermuda Triangle up there. The last small generation of farmers had retired about 20 years before and the area was just being reclaimed by anything, and predators had a series of sheltered corridors up the river valleys into the interior, so they could get from the north woods to these regrowing areas with high prey density and no competition. At the risk of sounding like I'm promoting cryptid theories, at this time I started finding partial deer remains with spiral fractured long bones out in the open in places I knew 100 percent they hadn't been shot. Just some back legs and the femurs weren't bit they looked twisted, don't know how that happens. And my sister had something fairly heavy following her while house sitting one time that climbed up on the roof of the farmhouse and walked around. Lol i sound like a yahoo but at any rate Maine has a lot more wild things than people realize because people don't talk about stuff. People all over the world think Maine is just the postcard capital, an extension of cape Cod, but you and I both know it's not.

Do you hunt that good looking dog up there?

Naw my dog is a great pal and house buddy. Intended to hunt him but he takes off to water or after his nose. He will run into a road or just plain get lost. Hard for me to try that out.
He is afraid from shock collar training so he freezes up if I attempt that for hunting.
I picture him gone to a river, lost to not come back. And getting gobbled up by a coyote pack or bear. Or quilled by a porcupine.
He is a remarkably smart dog. Follows my every command. But once he gets another animal with him, or scent he can't resist, or water, forget it. He's gone!

There are definitely wolves up there. I've seen one. Looked more like a German Shepard shaped head that a skinny pointy nose like a coyote/fox. Much larger body overall. It could have been someone's lost dog I saw but idk it was awfully ragged/skinny and looked like it had been living in the wild a long time. No collar! And that would be a big pet!
You look at videos too of the Golden Road I just watched the other day guys got footage of a black wolf standing in the gravel roadway.

You can hear a black bear running but I doubt you'd hear a "heavy one following you" but a bear could definitely go on the roof. I've hunted them and they are like woods ninjas/or a cat. Totally silent until they are suddenly there.They come up to the camps/houses and get right in the garbage or anything that smells good so I bet that's what she encountered.

Hey guys.

Just joined as a found a lot of discussion on my favorite boot action caliber the 284win. I have been hunting Maine since I was a boy and its an amazing place to be outdoors.

I'm not much into long range. 200 yards is the normal long range check for me. I attempted to shoot 300ish once and was surprised at my results. A 2.5-8x36 scope is not much use for further than that from what I can tell in experience.

Welcome to the LRH Forum.
This is the BEST Forum on LR Hunting, Reloading and GS for information and discussion.
The most important part of this Forum are the people!!! A lot of GREAT members and a wealth of information. Can't meet a better bunch of Gals and Guys!!!!
We look forward to your participation and sharing your knowledge with the group.

If we can help in any way let us Gals and Guys know.
Len & Jill