new guy from Montana

PaulStafford

Hi all

I've been a lurker here for quite a while. great site, very informative. I used to compete with pistol many years ago, went to a LR practical rifle competition near here a few months ago, and now I have a rifle on order. So clearly its dangerous to attend these events :)

I have ordered a Stiller TAC300 in 300 wm, Lilja barrel (gotta keep it in Montana if possible) all to go in an XLR stock with DBM (AI magazine.) Got the 20MOA picatinney rail.

Still deciding on scope. Would of course like a USO or Nightforce, but will probably settle for [FONT=&quot]SWFA SS 3-9x42 with a mil dot reticle. This will suit for hunting and the shorter competitive ranges. I"ll upgrade when I get more experience.

Now am looking for a mentor, as I have so much to learn. Anyone local to Western MT?

Paul
[/FONT]

Welcome, there's a few guys in the Missoula area but I haven't shot up there. Watch out for post by Broz once summer rolls back around, he put on a few shoot in Townsend that were good fun and will get better!!

I really like the looks of the XLR stocks, I don't know if I will have the funds for my 338 build to use one though.

Hey there! I'm a fellow SW Montanan who loves shooting and hunting. I currently just have a factory Winchester Model 70 in 300 Win Mag for a LR rifle but would love to get a .338 Edge. My current comfort zone is anything out to about 500 yards on deer or larger sized game. I hope to extend that range with a quality rifle and optics.

Jay in Butte

Hi Jay

good to meet you.
Do you participate in Gary Marbut's LR competitions in Potomac? a bit of a drive for you, but usually about 20-30 guys show up. ranges from 300-1300 yds, steel targets. see Precision Rifle Match
Saturday is the last one of the year. I"ll be there as an observer/spotter, at least until my rifle gets here.

I"d really like a shooting coach, so I start out right.

is the .338 Edge different than the .338 Lapua?

do you hand load the .300? if so, what do you use?

Hi Paul,

I currently don't reload as I haven't had anyone to teach me. I shoot factory rounds (green and yellow box) and have had good success with them. I haven't heard of this LR competition you speak of. I would be interested in learning more about it.

The 338 Edge is based off from the 300 RUM. Here is an article from one of the inventers. 338 Edge It is very well thought of and fits my LR plans. I agree with you on the shooting coach. I will take one of Shawn's classes if I get the chance to buy one of his rifles.

Jay

here's the link to the long range rifle competition in Potomac tomorrow

Precision Rifle Match

this is about 20 miles east of Missoula on HWY 200, north side of hiway.

people start assembling at 9am, briefing at 930am. lasts most of the day. very low key, friendly folk.

If you wanted to register, call or email Gary Marbut.
[email protected] or 406 549 1252

If you go, look for me. I'll be the only one with no rifle...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.