New dies scratching brass

orangediablo

Picked up my first FL bushing dies from redding, and both are scratching up my brass pretty good. I'v tried a little imperial, a lot of imperial ad cleaned the dies, but to no avail. New case on right, FL on the left. This is occurring with two different sets of new dies. Ideas?

This is also my first set of bushing dies and had another question. If you look at the brass on the left, you will see a small ring, I'm assuming the whole neck didn't make it into the bushing...am I correct? and if the die is bottoming out on the shell holder, how can I correct this other than trimming the brass? or will this not cause any issues? Thanks guys.

4QMI91J.jpg

I have the nitride bushings. After depriming and wet tumbling, I use either a body die or FL bushing die and resize the case. Redding and maybe others recommend not sizing the neck more than .004 at a time for concentricity reasons. So the FL bushing die is set to .296 and a neck bushing die setup with a .292 bushing finishes it off. The dies are loaded on a turret press to speed things up. I leave a few thousands of the neck unsized at the shoulder neck junction to help center the case neck in the chamber throat. While I can see the resizing marks on the brass, I do not get any scratches on my cases. I clean the dies and brass before a lengthy loading session.

Last edited:
1. Your necks are scratched because the bushing was not polished correctly.
2. Most reloaders neck turn their brass and if the bushing sized all the way to the shoulder it would push the donut to the inside of the neck.
3. For reloaders who do not neck turn Redding includes a expander with their bushing dies. This pushes any neck irregularities to the outside of the case neck.

NOTE, I had the same scratched necks with a standard non-bushing full length Redding die. The die was rough at the neck shoulder junction and I polished the die to remove the rough burs.
Also the tridium nitride bushings are plated and sometimes can be very rough and may need polishing.

So what are my options regarding the dies? See if Redding can swap them out? Try to polish the insinde?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.