New coyote hunter looking for help

You will need to see what calls work in your area, as pressure from other hunters can educate them to certain calls.

I stay with the cotton tail and baby cotton tail for most day, early evening setups. Once close to dusk, I go with locator calls, or pup in distress. I have the fox bang feature, so if I shoot, I play the pup distress call. If several come in to the call, the fox bang will normally stop or slow the remaining coyotes for other shot opportunities. My best was 4 came in and 3 were shot by me with a bolt gun.

Where I hunt I also target bobcats, so my time on stand varies. If I have not had a coyote or fox come in after calling quietly for 10-15 minutes, I bump up the sound some. Once I have elevated the volume enough for any coyote within range to hear and come take a look, I feel pretty certain they are not around, but that is not always the case. But it sometimes take a bobcat 30-45 minutes to sneak in to the call. A few years back I was set up in the landfill stand, and had been calling for 35-40 minutes, and had seen nothing. The caller was to the north, 90 yards off my right shoulder, and I was hunting 360 degrees, but expecting most to come from the south or the west. I saw a big coyote cross the food plot at about 350 yards, and I did know if he had heard the call. So I hit mute, pumped the volume and set the call to pup in distress. For some reason I always look at the caller when I hit the send/unmute button. The second that call went to high volume, a large bobcat jumped about 3 feet straight up in the air from about 6 feet away from the call. Cat slinked off to the north without giving me a shot, but he had snuck in slowly and had gotten feet from the call without me seeing him. Coyote I had seen, circled into the next shooting lane, doing their patented hop and look. He stayed there until I packed up and carried him out.

Best advice I can give is bring a notebook with you and keep notes on temp, wind, time of day, what sounds and volumes. You will find some work better than others. Have fun and share some pictures with us when you are successful.

If going hunting at night with NV or thermal. Make sure you know the lay of the land in daylight and do not shoot if you are not 100% about the backdrop. It is easy to get turned around at night and things are not always as you think they are, so make sure you know your hunting area. As you know you can't call that bullet back.

Last edited:
Check out some of the how to vids on Foxpro's website. There's one on there that talks about different calls for different seasons/time of the year. Very helpful. Besides distress calls, you're trying to speak their language. Keep that in mind and it will help with call sequence.

Don't be afraid to have some hand calls handy to change things up.

Randy Anderson is awesome to watch too. Master coyote caller. Look him up on YouTube.

Now this is the cheapest way to take care of yotes and not expensive either. All you need is this big Blue Container

WOW can't believe that that Yote would stick around with the man chasing away from his chow-wow. Our neighbor across thee road had their medium size dog ripped up by yotes and died around the same time the other neighbor down the road had their kitten ripped up in their garage.
Samson and I were walking on a back road by our house and two Yotes were following us. One on each side of the road about 75 yards away. When one Yote got about 50 yds i let Samson go. Samson was in his prime about 130#. The yote took off but hit an old cow fence that was along side of the road and could not get through. Samson went into Killer mode and grabbed the Yote by the neck, picked him up, shook it like a rag doll and then threw it up into the air. The Yote was dead upon hitting the ground.
Now since Samson passed last August we have Cassie a Great Pyrenees (she has the body of a Wolf) specifically bred as a Stock Dog and Maximus our young six month Bernese Mountain Dog. No Yotes around here!

WOW can't believe that that Yote would stick around with the man chasing away from his chow-wow. Our neighbor across thee road had their medium size dog ripped up by yotes and died around the same time the other neighbor down the road had their kitten ripped up in their garage.
Samson and I were walking on a back road by our house and two Yotes were following us. One on each side of the road about 75 yards away. When one Yote got about 50 yds i let Samson go. Samson was in his prime about 130#. The yote took off but hit an old cow fence that was along side of the road and could not get through. Samson went into Killer mode and grabbed the Yote by the neck, picked him up, shook it like a rag doll and then threw it up into the air. The Yote was dead upon hitting the ground.
Now since Samson passed last August we have Cassie a Great Pyrenees (she has the body of a Wolf) specifically bred as a Stock Dog and Maximus our young six month Bernese Mountain Dog. No Yotes around here!
taco bell 90s GIF

Lots of very good tips here. I'll add these; do everything you can to minimize your scent. Shower with scent-free soap, and wash your hunting clothes in similar detergent. You are hunting a canine and trust me, they have the ability to smell you long before you ever see them. In that same vein, be mindful of the wind. Coyotes have a tendency, especially if they have been called in before, to want to drift downwind before coming into your set. So keep this in mind when setting up.

Coyote hunting will get into your blood. You have no idea what an adrenaline rush it is to have one come running in on you with mouth and eyes wide open, looking for something to eat...one of the reasons I tote my shotgun along with my rifle.