*help* coyote loads for 6.5x284

btLRH

Im new to long range hunting and just got a Savage LRH 111 in 6.5x284. With it came a box of HSM 140 grain VLD. (Berger 140 gr VLD). With this ammo I've shot two coyotes. The first didnt do too much damage of only about a 2 inch hole. But the hole on the second coyote was a whopping 7 inches. I'd like a bullet that would be fur friendly but not too sure what to get. Maybe around the 100 gr to 120 gr area. Just something that isnt gonna take the shoulder out of a coyote. I'm looking to get money for the pelts and dont really want to use a different rifle cause im in love with this one! I can now also reload my own so any data or info would be greatly appreciated!

The target version of that bullet has a thicker jacket and won't expand much.

a controlled expansion type bullet like a Barnes Tipped Tripple shock works very well on coyotes and doesnt come apart and blow big holes. They are also very accurate

What do you guys think about Lapua 144gr FMJ. I see that their BC is .636. And fmj definately shouldnt punch much of a hole out.

they put on this coating almost rubbery. very thin. but with use it will wear off and then your stock looks like hell. but ive taken and put on some camo self cling wrap for protection...the rifle itself is amazing but with one minor flaw of the stock. i wouldnt worry too much about it. and ive looked into replacing it with an aftermarket stock but theres nothing...

The rifle overall is great. I mean its just the stock. they have put a rubberish coating on the whole stock. its pretty thin and with use it wears off in a flakish look. i've put some camo self-cling wrap on mine for protection. But i would recommend the rifle!

6.5X.284 and "fur friendly don't really go together. Tikkamike had a good suggestion. FMJ's may or may not do a lot of damage but if they don't, you'll want some good tracking snow. A coyote can go quite a ways with a pencil hole through him.

I would consider getting another barrel with a caliber that is more fur friendly. you could then switch barrels and have the best of both worlds. Takes some work but is doable???? this opens up many more possibilities. I recommend this as another option.

I read what you said about not wanting another gun but I am saying consider just another barrel and switch to that one when predator hunting.

That is what I would do if I was you.

ODAVID

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.