New Caliber coming

Ian M

Ruger is introducing a new cartridge, the .204 Ruger, 37 grain Hornady A-Max at 4200 fps. Will be shooting one shortly, hope to do in some Sask coyotes.

shortly???They releaseing them in Cananda already?I called 4 of the big shops in the area and only two of them have heard the news yet let alone got one in stock.Put one on order but it sounds like I'll be lucky to have it or rounds by prairie dog season next year.
In reality though I doubt the 204 will beat the 223 with a 40Vmax by enough to be worth it but the short range video could tell a different story.
wink.gif

I was asked to do some stuff with a pre-production rifle, no idea when they will get into dealers hands. Have an idea it will be a nasty close-range coyote cartridge.

The case is a necked down .222 Rem. magnum, apparently they are also looking at some other bullet weights and performance levels.

Some base info on Ruger's site.

Should have known
wink.gif

The round interests me in that it should work great for prairie dogs to 500yards...maybe a little farther in good conditions?
The 223 is a great round but keeping the brass seperated from 5 different guns can be a pain.My current Ruger VT has 6000 round down the tube.Was going to have it rechambered to 223AI.When I heard about the 204 I held off figureing to have it rechambered to 204 instead.Will probibly do the 223AI and just pick up a 204VT when they are available(let others do the guini piggin)
Did you find the 204 to be hind freindly on coyotes or did it blow through?
CJ

Mach V,
Don't have it yet, supposed to find out very shortly when it is going to be available. I agree with you, the .223 is going to be very hard to beat when you consider cost and how well it performs.
Must be fun to have that many .223 rifles - hope that some of them share the same ammo.

Ian and Mach V,
If I am reading this right this is a 20 caliber gun so it would be kinda hard for Mach V to rechamber a 223 to this new 204. It would fit but wouldn't shoot to good- bullets would kinda bounce down the bore!

Hate to be the stickler on this but doesn't sound like it will do anything a 17 Rem or 223 won't do, so have fun testing it Ian but don't expect me to build a "Rock" in that caliber!!!!

Chris,
You are right. Guess a .20 would hardly rate as a GA Precision "Pebble", how about a GA Precision DUST SPECK!

Loosened and re-torqued all the screws and bolts on my ROCK yesterday, took the NXS right off, Badgers apart etc. and gave it a good cleaning, got rid of dirt and dust accumulated from the Badlands to the arctic. That **** red dust is impossible to get out of the fine threads in the front of the scope!

Went out to the range and checked the zero - did not have to touch the turrets, the rifle was still perfectly zeroed. Only shot three shots, one fouler and two that touched in the X and went home.

Ian,
For what it's worth my 17 Rem wears the trademark "rock" Badger bolt knob, as do my bolt guns in 22 LR. Now if Mike would only a 17 5R barrel I would have a GA "Pebble"
Said he did it once- never again!!!!

It's amazing what torquing things to the proper spec can do!!! How many kills does that thing have and when can I come?

Ian

Do you know something that most everyone else does not..... All the stuff I have read on the new 204 shows it is pushing a 33 gr vmax at 4200fps...not the quoted 37 gr vmax... One other question about the lands thickness, saw a quote about it being .03 thick... supose to be sooo much better for less fouling and longer barrle life.... whats your opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.