New build advise

frostop

Hi All,

I am considering a New Custom Build, Caliber wise I am leaning toward the .338 Norma. I have read a couple of the articles on here and elsewhere as well as the posts here on the 300 and 338 normas.

My question is that I have read some guys building these on a standard long action, but others warn against that. So it is my understanding that I would be wise to use an action like a tac338 or alike for one of these caliber? It seems the only disadvantage would be weight? I am really just looking for confirmation on my thoughts since I have never done a complete custom:D

Last edited:
To be safe I'd use an action designed to accommodate the 338 Lapua or similar. Plenty of people build Lapuas on regular long actions and get by just fine, but others consider it a little sketchy. The "problem" arises from having such a large case head. All that surface area with 60,000 psi puts a lot of load on the bolt lugs and they may eventually bend slightly. This may or may not happen with a standard action, but with the money you'll invest in a full custom I wouldn't take the chance. Id go with a custom action or a Weatherby.

Short actions limit the OAL of the loads you can use. Unless you have an inferior rifle with an action made from old beer cans, I see no reason to go with a short action in a rifle of this caliber.
Oh, and getting back to that beer can rifle. Before you "bend" a lug you're more likely to shear it off the bolt.

If you were to talk to gunsmiths with a known reputation for building long range
rifles, i doubt you'd find any (reccomending) a standard type action with a standard magnum boltface. But if you ask the question to enough people on sites like this, you will hear the answer you (might) be looking for.
A custom action would be the best choice. A mark V Weatherby, or a 995 3 lug Saco action both having large bolt faces would be acceptable also in my opinion.

30 or more years ago, the late Howard Wolfe created a wildcat cartridge based off the then wildcat 30x378 cartridge. Known locally here as the short version 30x378, or the Wolfe version, it was primarily intended for Williamsport use.
The case is almost identicle to the Norma case and has a capacity within 1 grain of water.
I have one built by Howard on a mark v action i use for long range deer hunting.
It has lots of rounds thru it and hasent shown the slightest signs of any problem.

As for the 338, my opinion is if it isnt a 3000 fps gun with 300 gr bullets then stick
with the 30 cal.

No, I'm not looking for a specific answer, I always weigh on the safe side when it come to firearms

As for the 338, my opinion is if it isnt a 3000 fps gun with 300 gr bullets then stick
with the 30 cal.

yobuck,

Can you elaborate on that statement since the 300 norma looks good as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.