New barrel for Savage 11 LRH

SavageScott

I really want to get a new barrel for my Savage 11 LRH (300 wsm). The stock barrel is ok I guess, but to me it's a bit flimsy and heats up too quickly.

So I want a stainless barrel, 26"-28" preferably with 5R rifling (1 in 10 twist). And I think I would want either a heavy sporter or a varmint barrel. I use this gun to shoot AND hunt with.

I am wondering if there is a company out there that will make what I want (above) and also drill it to fit the receiver? I called Krieger and that was where we had an impass. They won't drill the barrel to fit the receiver (actually they acted like they didn't want my business period). Or would you trust a gunsmith to do this? CAN a decent gunsmith even do this?

Like I said I tried to call Krieger, and the sales guy was rude and not much help. Let's leave them out of the equation. I will NEVER do business with them.

Anyone have any suggestions? Advice? Anything will help at this point.

Thanks in advance......

Pac nor,Mcgowen and I think Hart will do it for you.Pac nor ang Mcgowen both sell prefit barrels all you need is a barrel nut wrench,barrel vise and go,no go gage to fix it up you self.It's way more fun to put it together and shoot a sub 1/2 moa group or make a one shot kill at long rangegun)

+1 for PacNor. I just put together a 280AI on a 111 action. PacNor took awhile (ordered in April, received in Oct) but man does it shoot. They fluted it, threaded the muzzle to my spec for the brake I wanted to use. They did not finish the chrome-moly barrel, but they have a local outfit that does that if you don't want to do it yourself. I had them (Gunner's Sport Shop) cerakote mine. Other places may have the specs you want already on the shelf and be faster, but if you have to have it made to order, PacNor is a good choice.

(advice) Don't call a barrel company that doesn't offer chambering in there place of business. Find a barrel company that offers a 5R and does chambering if that is what you want. The factory .300 WSM varmint barrels are pretty good shooters. You cold put a want WTB out in the forum and see what pops up, may even get a 5R that way also. I sold an unfired varmint .300WSM fluted ss savage factory barrel a few years back for $175.00. I know they can be found. Button rifled pre-fits are being made by a decent handful of companies.

Pac-Nor, Shilen, McGowen, Criterion, Hart, etc. all make prefits for Savages, but they are all Button rifle barrels. If you want a 5R cut rifle barrel you will most likely have to buy a blank and have a smith turn it down for you. Fred at sharp shooter supply offers prefits in a Brux barrels which are cut rifle barrels if I remember correctly.

I guess 5R isn't a requirement (I only know really what I have read on here), but are the prefits that you mentioned decent barrels? I know just enough about barrels to get myself in trouble. But I'm at least able to admit it :D

And price-wise what am I looking at for a prefit barrel? And it's something that I can do myself (the re-barreling part)? I would hate to mess the gun up. I'm GREAT at breaking ****!

They will run you from $370 on up to $700 or more it just depends on what you want finish of the barrel,length,muzzle brake installed and fluting all adds to it.Make sure of the size of the shank size of your rifle before you order if you try it yourself.

I have Pac-Nor and McGowen prefits and both have been really good with the edge probably going to Pac-Nor. As mentioned you can do it yourself, you'll need a barrel nut wrench, action wrench, go and no go gauges in the caliber you choose. It's really easy, search YouTube there are a ton of videos. Call Jim at Northland Shooter Supply he can get you hooked up with everything you need.

My PacNor was a savage pre-fit, fluted, threaded for a brake and cerakoted, in my hands for just under 500. The barrel nut wrench, barrel vise, and go/no-go gauges were just over 100 from MidwayUSA. Doing the install was straightforward. I test fitted everything dry, then took it all apart, put never-seize on the barrel threads, tightened the receiver down on the go gauge, hand tightened the nut, checked the no-go gauge, then put the torque wrench on and finished up. One more check with both gauges, put her in the stock and its time to go shooting.

Go to the Shilen web site and check out the Savage pre-fit barrels. You can get about what you described except for the 5R reasonable.

Don't forget Benchmark barrels. They shoot great and their chambering jobs are top-notch.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.