new at coyote hunting

jeepguy

I am just getting started coyote hinting in oregon. I am look for info on what works in northwestern oregon and good places to hunt. I have been helping a friend get rid of some coyotes that raid his farm and want to start activly hunting them. Any info would help thanks!

Welcome to what is sure to become a lifelong passion. There are lots of good calls out there, I like the randy Anderson calls by Primos, but the E.L.K calls are good also. Everyone uses distress calls and they do work, but if you want to up your odds learn to howl. Camoflauge is important, all those gee wiz patterns will work, just insure you wear a face mask and GLOVES. When you move your hands to shoot is when they spot you. Scent control is also important, but if they get down wind your screwed. Plan your setup, cause no matter where a yote comes from he will try to get down wind of you. This is where a MOJO decoy comes in handy. If the decoy is out there where they can see it hopefully when they cut down wind, they only go down wind of the decoy and not you. Until your hooked just use whatever rifle your best with. You can get a wiz bang laser gun that you don't really need later. We all think of the long shot, but chance are you won't see it until it's right in front of you. Something fast handleing is prefered, I'm really taking a shine to hunting with the AR-15. Shooting stix are also really handy, stoney point collapsible ones are great, but you can also just make a pair. I've never hunted Oregon, mostly the mid west, but these were a few lessons I've picked up.

Other than location and the above mentioned calls.My only advise is to go often and try to learn something everytime you go out!

But an oldtimer once told me........The skill aint in callin em.The skill is in shooting em!

Movement will blow your cover more than anything.
Be absolutely as still as possible.
Bark with your voice and they will stop, be ready to shoot when they do.

I've hunted the Idaho and Oregon border(s) in the North West region for about 15 years. It's a great area for the new yote hunter(s), lots of dogs and they still come to most any calls.
I would agree the AR family of weapons is the ticket for fast movers and multi-yote in counters.
I used a M4 with Acog 3.5x35mm 65gr. Sierra GK at 3100 fps with great results; but my best setup is an older; and in mint condition Remington M760 in 223 Rem with an older refurbished Redfield five star 4x12 scope, next too my long gone H&K 630 in .223 Rem; the M760 is the best... That pump never jams; works every time I pull the trigger'…, hot or cold weather, with any load.
As for a call'…, the old "Herbs Howler" was the best I ever found… made from cow's horn with a reed…. Don't believe their around anymore, to bad great call. Back that up with an; Olt M-22 dual range predator call; let the games begin.

[quote Everyone uses distress calls and they do work, but if you want to up your odds learn to howl.[/quote]

I am also trying to learn more about calling. Can you go into more detail about howling? What technique works well for you? How often? Just howling? Barking?

Thanks in advance

depends on the time of year. If there breeding howling like like an old female may be the trick. Or maybe howling like an old male will get them territorial and bring them in. In summer and early fall I like to use young pup howls. barking is something I use intermitantly throughout the calling session. It also woks good to get them to stop for a shot.

look up predator masters on the web + all your questions will be answered, calls, techniques, rifles, loads, hunting in your area, + even classifieds for one of those wiz bang rifles for when mr coyote wants to just sit there at 300,400,500yrds + not come in because something just aint right . good luck + remember post pics!gun)

look up predator masters on the web + all your questions will be answered, calls, techniques, rifles, loads, hunting in your area, + even classifieds for one of those wiz bang rifles for when mr coyote wants to just sit there at 300,400,500yrds + not come in because something just aint right . good luck + remember post pics!gun)

Well, I already have one of those wiz bang lazer rifles so I just need a few dogs to shoot at with it :D

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out that website.

The best advice I know would be that after the set up and calling is done and the yote appears up close you have about a second and a half to get that shot off.

Oh, and after a bunch of misses which trains them real well the hide and snipe thing works really well but thats a whole 'nother thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.