New 8 acre hayfield loaded with groundhogs.

ohlongarmisle

Scouted it yesterday,not hunting June 1st I start they're 3 in the picture all at about 100 yards.

Attachments

• nf.jpeg
    nf.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 84
  • nf1.jpg
    nf1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 82
OK...I am very intrigued. .300BO bolt gun suppressed?
Specs please!

A suppressed 300 BLK is way too fun! I had been waiting to burn my 22-250 AI barrel out, but my impatience got the best of me and I just swapped barrels and bolt faces out the other day.

Zermatt TL3
16" criterion 1:7 300 BLK shouldered prefit
Triggertech Special
Manners PRS2 with mini chassis
TBAC 338 Ultra

Subsonic ammo sounds like a pellet gun. There is a TON of drop. With a 100 yard zero, I was holding 16 MOA to connect at 200 yards.

A suppressed 300 BLK is way too fun! I had been waiting to burn my 22-250 AI barrel out, but my impatience got the best of me and I just swapped barrels and bolt faces out the other day.

Zermatt TL3
16" criterion 1:7 300 BLK shouldered prefit
Triggertech Special
Manners PRS2 with mini chassis
TBAC 338 Ultra

Subsonic ammo sounds like a pellet gun. There is a TON of drop. With a 100 yard zero, I was holding 16 MOA to connect at 200 yards.

I thought about doing a .300 BLK bolt gun but ended up going with an 8 twist 30-06 instead. Having subs and 178gr ELD-X at 2800 fps in the same magazine is highly entertaining.

Coyotes and hawks have gotten to our groundhogs here in PA, they all seem to live in the woods now and I haven't seen one in a field in a while.

I thought about doing a .300 BLK bolt gun but ended up going with an 8 twist 30-06 instead. Having subs and 178gr ELD-X at 2800 fps in the same magazine is highly entertaining.

Coyotes and hawks have gotten to our groundhogs here in PA, they all seem to live in the woods now and I haven't seen one in a field in a while.
That place I showed is infested with coyotes and bald eagles because of the river nearby, the landowner of 30 years says there's always been an abundance on that property, who knows?

That place I showed is infested with coyotes and bald eagles because of the river nearby, the landowner of 30 years says there's always been an abundance on that property, who knows?
The places where I hunt chucks in NE PA have Bald Eagles and Buzzards. They are trained that when a shot goes off the fly around the fields looking for dead chucks. Used to had Bald Eagles land on our kills all the time.

OK...I am very intrigued. .300BO bolt gun suppressed?
Specs please!

Our test gun, a 300 Blackout pistol with a 10.5 in barrel.
(These tests are similar to my results in a 10.5" AR platform)

1714133028821.png

This one example from an article about test in gel blocks:
https://www.ammoman.com/blog/subsonic-300-blackout-ballistics/

My 16" bolt action requires different loads for subsonic performance unless you want to pay for the SBR stamp. I do use the 208 gr. AMAX but over Tin Star for just over 1000 fps.

:)

I've had a .300 Whisper, aka Blackout, since it's inception by my good friend JD Jones of SSK Industries. I've never tried these new subsonic rounds made by Hornady. JD had me test bullets in the Whisper to see what works. I was also hooked up with Lehigh Defense to help them see what bullet they were developing would work. I tried many of their early bullets, took pics of damage.
Bottom line on my results: "regular" bullets- the Whisper was devoloped with the 240/250 gr. Sierra HPBT Match. They killed by tumbling. Gave ragged exit holes with irregular internal damage. Deer would run. Groundhogs didn't get phased much. The Lehigh bullet that gave 95% instant kills & dropped deer was the 186 gr. Controlled Chaos- open nose, skived nose, .17 cal. bullet in the nose. A hit on deer gave 6 tracs of damage- 4 from nose pedals, one from .17 cal., one from base. Awesome bullet, but pricy.
I went on to test regular bullets. The winner was 220 gr. Sierra RN. Killed by expansion & tumbling. Not much of an exit hole, but good internal damage. On groundhogs, deer, turkeys, foxes, coyotes 95-98% instant drops!!! Reasonable price, as good as performance as the Lehigh. So far I've taken about 150 groundhogs, several turkeys & coyotes, 120+ deer including a heavy WV 8 pt. buck at 240 yds. in a driving rain/wind storm. He dropped!!
I've seen no reason to try the Horn. subsonics, but I'd be interested in hearing of performance on actual kills with it, especially at distance.
My Whisper is on a Contender frame. Saw no reason to go "automatic" since it's so quiet & I have plenty of time to reload.
A mildot scope is mandatory due to the great drop in trajectory at longer ranges.

.30 Cal 220 Gr. RN Pro-Hunter

From Sierra:

The #2180 was introduced in 1961.

It's been around for a long time and still performs well. It's often a choice, along with other round nose bullets when I hunt both deer and elk with shorter shorter range potential shots. No need for VLD bullets all the time.

;)

I do a fair bit of spring bear hunting, I was at one of my areas last night and it was loaded with chucks. Back when I shot them a lot I'd wait until they had pups before I got after them. That'll be another 6 weeks or so around here.

Don't have much against them anymore so I just listen to them while I glass for bruins:)