New 308 break in

davkrat

I finally got new rig in. Even after the CA 10 day wait period the gun didn't arrive util the 11th day! I guess UPS decided to take Thanksgiving and friday off. The nerve of them didn't they know I was waiting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I got a Remington 700 SPS in 308 Win. Man is that plastic stock ugly. I slapped on a cheap Bushnell 3-9X in Leupold rings and two piece bases. I attached a Harris bipod grabbed my sand bags and went to the range to break her in. No body in the Sacramento area had Varget in stock. A Sportsman's Warehouse opened here last week and wouldn't you know it they were completely out of 308 brass and Varget. I found some Winchester brass but decided to use the only powders I had, the fastest being H4350 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I used 45gr of H4350 behind a 150 Speer Boat Tail that I had bought a long time ago for my brother's 308, just didn't have any of the powder for his gun at my place. I based the load off of a 7mm-08 load, I'm sure the velocity was really low as well as the pressure.

IMG_3839small.jpg

IMG_3837small.jpg

I decided to go the shoot one and clean for first ten then shoot ten and clean for 30 rounds route. I acctually ended up shooting one and cleaning for the first 6 then shot two and cleaned for #7-10 finally shooting 5 and cleaning for #11-40. That's just the cadence that seemed to work with the cease fires at the range I was at. My bore sighting was 2" low at 25 yds but dead center, off to a good start.

The trigger pull from the factory is horrific, it must be close to 10 pounds, feels like it anyways. That is definately getting worked on this morning. The absolute lack of kick is a god send, I could shoot that thing all day long. Why didn't I get one of these sooner? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I shot some groups while breaking in the barrel. Here are shots # 11-20. The range's stapler died after I put this target up so I decided to shoot a 10 shot group onto one target.

IMG_3840small.jpg

Not too bad in my opinion for a brand new barrel and slapped together load. These shots were started on a clean barrel, shot 5, cleaned & shot 5 more. There are actually two groups here, the five looser ones up to the left and the 5 lower ones that are pretty tight. It seemed that the 5 upper left shots were the second group after the cleaning. If you leave out the 2 upper left shots which I think were fliers from the clean barrel, then 8 shots went in to 1 inch. The thin lines on my targets are 1/2" and 1" for the thicker. Not too bad for a $500 rifle and a $90 scope.

Here are shots # 21-25, I adjusted the sope over 1/2" to the right but they are still landing right around 1"-1.5" high range which is on par with the previous ten which makes me feel better about the two high left fliers on the previous target.

IMG_3844small.jpg

Again there is a flier but 4 of them are right around 1/2" I've never had a .308 and I'm sure most of them are accurate but I'm pretty excited to start actually working up a load for this one. Once I get this trigger set to an acceptable level (stupid lawyers) and get some Varget it's off to the range. Eventually my plans are to cut the barrel down from 24" to 20" and put a Mannlicher style stock on it. Eventually a Leupold is going on it as well but funds get tough right before christmas and I wasn't going to have the thing sit there for a month without shooting it. Overall I'm pretty stoked on my new pig sticker.

Is it pretty normal for a gun to wonder a little as it gets broken in? It just seemed odd to me that the 10 shot target had 5 low and tight then 5 higher and looser and then the next 5 sort of in the middle. Anyways she looks promising, hope I didn't bore you but who doesn't like looking at a new gun?

Any cartridge adopted by uncle Sam is a winner and 308 is no exception. I for one had been craving for this caliber eversince my hunting buddy got one dressed as Ruger Model 77 compact. I witnessed him killing deer beyond 600 yards with Barnes 168 grain TSX, all one shot kill.
I want mine built around a Remington 700 action and I happened to have a 243 Remington 700 ADL setting in my safe gathering dust, that I plan to use for this project. It finally came together last year and it's worth the wait.

[image]http://
IMGP0364.jpg
[/image]

[image]http://
IMGP1895.jpg
[/image]

Very nice. My plans for the .308 are not exactly for a long range gun but I'm sure it will have plenty of accuracy for the job. I finally got some Varget today and plan to start testing a few loads this weekend. This is what I am planning on ending up with:
rem_7_ms_full.jpg

The model 7 MS from the Remington custom shop goes for $1300. My SPS was $500, I'm getting a semi-finished stock and barrel band for around $250. I may end up adding a hooded front site as they just look cool and then I plan to Duracoat all the metal. It should be a fun project regardless and still come in several hundred less than the Custom Shop. I also don't plan on getting a laminated stock, I might glass bed the entire length of the barrel channel though. I assume that the end cap and long stock will put pressure on the barrel as humidity changes. Like I said this isn't intended for a ultimate long range gun, more of a handy thick brush gun that will look cool. I guess it's the German in me that has always loved a "Stutzen"!

meichele,
Can a 308 Win get the larger 190gr. bullets going fast enough to really work on game or did you mean just for punching paper?
Thanks

Davkrat,
I used to have a Mannlicher stock Argentine Mauser chambered for 7MM Mauser. It was a beautiful rifle but won't shoot better than an inch and a half at 100 yards. I gave-up trying. The problem I heard about these type of stock is the barrel band at the forend. The rifle was soo temperamental that a slight change in the weather or temparature, change bullet impact drastically. A good smith probably can cure this problem but I didn't want to spend anymore money on the rifle. I had it rebarreled to 280 Remington and replaced the stock. Hope you're not gonna have this kind of problem. Goodluck with your project.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.