Need some help

NYSHUNTER

I drew NM unit 52 Elk Tag and WY Antelope tag for unit 27 both are rifle. Here's the problem. My plan was to drive from NYS 30 hrs solo to NM Carson National Forest and do DIY hunt. That was before I pulled the Wy Antelope tag which is a month long tag in October.

So the new plan is drive to WY the 30 hrs spend a few days there chasing pronghorns then driving from WY to NM 11hrs to hunt Elk. I never did a road trip. I always flew in hunted caped out the animal and dropped it off to be sent back to NY. Now that I'm driving I was wondering how can I preserve the cape for the long trip from WY to NM then back to NY

If I'm lucky I will have an antelope cape that needs to be cared for atleast 10 days and and Elk cape for 4 days. Does anyone have any input on how can I get it done ?

The only thing I know of is freezing capes. Maybe deep freeze it at wherever you're staying then put it on ice when you travel and check on it every time you stop.

I have used dry ice to keep capes frozen for a couple days at a time. As long as you keep putting some dry ice on it, it still stay frozen as a rock. Use a big marine or Yeti cooler and you should have no problems.

What Barrelnut said. Just be sure capes are cooled out completely before rolling or folding and prior to freezing. Also do not put them in a plastic bag until they are cooled and/or frozen. Use dry ice if possible, as any water on capes will hasten bacterial growth. Good Luck

i drive everywhere i hunt. freeze cape and small blanket wrap frozen cape in blanket then put in plastic bag and then in cooler. blanket will help hold cold in works great brought home moose cape from british Columbia that way. i also live in new York. cape was still frozen 39 hrs later

If it were me. The minute I had a good buck down. I would gut it and hop in the truck and take it to koehlerst in Gillette. In fact it's on the south side of Gillette. And depending on where you are in 27 it may be a dir3ct route there.
I would then do the exchange the meat program where for a 100 or so bucks I exchange my buck for some smoked antelope products.
I would then have rusty,s taxidermy which is right in site cape and do a shoulder mount . Have it shipped to NY.
Wait. I did that already with my son's buck. Except I kept the meat. Pleased as punch with the mount. Did a great job shipping it to me. Honestly could not be more pleased.
Then if I were you I would go kill an elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.