Need some help putting together a hunt to CO or SD

cdmorten

I live in Omaha and am in the process of putting together either an elk or mulie hunt for this coming season. I'm leaning towards Colorado or South Dakota (missed the window of opportunity for tags for Wyoming). Does anyone know of any good areas that I'd want to put in for?

In SD I'd be looking at the Black Hills region and in Colorado, I'd be looking at NW or at least W CO.

Thanks.

Corbett

I hunt in colorado units 71 and 711, alot of elk and deer. Not real trophy class bulls but we are getting better each year it seems like. You can get a cow tag for $250.00 and they sell a youth (17 and under) for $100.00. Adult bull are just under $500.00

I am almost positive that elk in SD is a no go and im fairly sure on the deer. Check out sdgfp.info for all rules. If it is possible go around the custer state park, or up in Harding County for mulies.

Corbett- I live in CO, so that is what these ???'s pertain to. What season/method are you looking to hunt as this can change things? Are you wanting to hunt BOTH, or are you fine with just one or the other? I assume that you would like male or either-sex tags, is this correct? Will you be hunting alone/with a partner/child? Do you want an area to use an outfitter/drop camp? What sort of terrain do you want to hunt/shape you(party) are in? What is your budget? Are you seeking 'trophy' animals, and if so, what do you consider a trophy? I know it is a long list, but it is just the beginning and maybe I could narrow it down some for you. Hope this helps. PM me if you would like.

Jerry

Thanks for the help guys...PM sent Jerry. Also, I checked on SD for Elk and you're right, no non resident tags. You can get one for deer though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.