Need some answers

BenY 2013

Ok I'm not exactly sure how to word this question. But I was wondering if gunsmithing and "gun building" would make enough to be a "primary" job or would it have to be more of a part time hobby??? Obviously reputation would be important....but I just wanted some input from actual gunsmiths and builders. I would love to do this for a living, work with guns all day would be a dream come true:D Hope I didn't step on any toes here, thanks for any input.

Well you hit the nail on the head there. Reputation. It's a must for you to have a good background in machining with running a lathe, mill and welder. I am an engineer and have experience in all three but I have no where near enough of it. A lot of the gunsmiths on here with great reputations seem to put in extremely long hours for what they get paid.

Ok thank you for the reply. Where would I need to get started in this(schools, classes) just kicking around the idea. I've welded a little, been around a cheap lathe, no mill experience. I'm in high school so it'll be a couple years before I could do anything but am really interested in it:D Thanks

I believe the best gunsmithing school you would want to attend to make a career out of it is out in Denver, but I can't recall the exact name of it. I'm sure you'll get a response or two on this thread on how to proceed if you decide to give it a go! Good luck youngun!!!

Thank you for the replies. If anyone could name the school or tell what would be required (degree's, skill, etc.) for the gunsmith/gunbuilder jobs. Any input or experiences from gunsmiths here on the site would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

The 'tuition' is going to be steep no matter how one looks at it.

I would recommend that instead of going to a "gun smith" school take some machining classes at a VoTech school. Or hire on as a floor sweeper at a local machine shop and move up. Or, even work there for free. Anything for good experience.

I've noticed that the "smiths" on here fall into a certain temperament group. Each is a unique individual in their own right but have a common character thread.

As much as I'd like to do that kind of thing I just don't have the character for it.

To invest the time and dollars for schools etc and learn that you can't make a good rifle would be depressing, I would think.

Study the successful rifle smiths on here and see how they slowly made the move to full time rifle making. That is an education in itself.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.