Need load for Berger 300gr in 338 Lapua...Bergers load data is ridiculous

Roll-Yur-Own

Their load data is way to low. I get the whole liability thing but don't they realize that there is more liability in going too low like this? I mean people realize its way out of line and so it actually makes it easier to load too high.

Any load data would be a good starting point for me. I have Retumbo and H-1000 but would be happy to try other powders like RL33

Thanks to All

Johnny

Last edited:
Hey there,

Retumbo 89.2 grains -> 2740 fps
RL33 97.5 grains -> 2770 fps

Shooting out of my factory savage 110BA
Lapua Brass, Federal match LR magnum primers,
Can't remember how far off the lands I'm at, but loaded to mag length which with the hybrids was quite a ways off them, OAL 3.757"

Good luck

Orch

Thanks guys.

Orch, that seems long OAL.

Any pressure with either load? How is accuracy with each?

Thanks
Johnny

If you want any load to start off with, can't measure pressure yourself; I'm confused how you decided Berger's data is somehow low, and unfit to use as a starting point...???

Due to lot variation, the grains aren't an absolute, but watch the velocities. They are what tell you pressure.

Compared to the 300 smk data and 300 accubond data its very low. Also, loads that people have posted are so much over Berger's max that it just doesn't make sense.

Johnny

Compared to the 300 smk data and 300 accubond data its very low. Also, loads that people have posted are so much over Berger's max that it just doesn't make sense.

Johnny
Johnny,
That is why we start low and work up to pressure for each individual rifle. I would just start at Berger data and go up from there to find your max load.
Just a quick synopsis of what I do:
-Measure coal with olive touching the lands.
-Load up rounds with increasing powder charge till I find slight pressure signs( which can be hard to find at times with the quality of Lapua brass)
-Back off powder charge from max pressure, and start working my way away from the lands to find accuracy.

Might want to give RL26 a try as well.
I don't have any, but my friends who load it have told me great things about it. Pick up more speed, and seems to be very temperature stable.

Johnny

.... Right, the grains of powder seem low; back to you wanting starting loads. And perhaps the max grains seen low to you, but as I said the Max load velocities are not low.....
So again with powder lot variations. When Berger doesn't list lot numbers tested, and Nosler doesn't list lot numbers tested, and your bottle of powder specifically says on the side "Drop loads 10% when switching lots" how on earth would you think that powders are some magical absolute that only have one burning rate???

Thanks guys.

Orch, that seems long OAL.

Any pressure with either load? How is accuracy with each?

Thanks
Johnny

Yah the OAL of the savage 110BA is longer than standard AI 338 mags...

no pressure signs with either... I got over 10 reloads on my first lot of lapua brass before I had to replace it, so I don't think it was stressing the brass too much.... could have probably got more loads on it but I screwed up when I switched to a new press and induced too much headspace and started getting case head separations and had to scrap that lot....

I obviously worked up to those loads, accuracy is very good with both loads, sub 1/2 moa out to 1000yrds... the Retumbo load I worked up using The OCW method, and interestingly it worked out to a couple 1/10ths of a grain within Dan Newberry's OCW load for 300gr bullets (sierras I think)... I have used the same load with sierra Mk's, accubonds, and lapua scenars as well as the hybrids and they all shot equally well....
For The RL33 load I just looked at allient's website saw the 97.5 gr load, started low and worked up past 97.5 and never found pressure, and 97.5 was the most consistent in speed and was also the most accurate... 97.5 is a slightly compressed load....

Had a buddy try both of my loads in his PGW Timberwolf and they shot well out of it, but obviously wouldn't fit the magazine... he went a different path and started shooting 250gr scenars...

crunching the numbers, 250gr @2900 vrs 300 hybrid @2770 the 250 has a slim advantage in elevation out to 1200 yards but the 300 hybrid holds the advantage in wind drift...

Let us know how it works out for you...

Orch

Thanks Orch, I have a PGW timberwolf action that I built the rifle with in 2003. Its in a Mcmillan Remington hunter stock but I want to switch to a A-5 after hunting season. It shot great groups with 91 Grains of retumbo and 300 SMKs.

The 300 Nosler AB's show pressure at 94gr retumbo if you get the rifle a little hot but they shoot well.....not as good as SMKs. If I use them again I will drop to 93.

You have a standard Lapua not the improved?

What powder do you prefer with the 300 Bergers, Retumbo or RL33?

Thanks
Johnny

Yep just a standard, stock savage 110BA 338 lapua...
I guess I prefer the RL33 since I get a bit more speed with it and I can find the dang stuff in Canada now... but I have no problem going back to retumbo if I have to...

To be honest I haven't been shooting it as much lately since I built my 6.5 RSAUM....

Orch

Thanks Orch, that's funny......my other rifle is a 7mm STW that is being rebarreled ti 6.5x284 so I'm not sure how much I'll be shooting the Lapua either.

a 300 AB does wonders on a whitetail!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.