need help with forming 9.3 X 57 brass from 30-096

jimwest

More on sizing a cartridge to a different caliber. On sizing up from let's say 30-06 to 9.3 X 57 Mauser (my dilemma at present). Having plenty of good 06 brass on hand to work with and after having searched everywhere for the past 5 months with no luck finding the Norma 9.3 X 57 brass this seems to be the only option. I welcome your comments or suggestions on my process.

First, I start with annealing my de-primed, cleaned and annealed 06 brass. I trim off about ¼ inch of the neck. Lube the case really well, and full-length size in my 9.3 die. Slow and easy. After sizing, check the dimensions and trim to correct length. Am I missing anything here? I loaded and fired 6 rounds with a light load and a 250 Nosler bullet. Going forward, do I measure the shoulder on the fireformed cases, and set my full-length sizing die up to bump the shoulder .002 from there and processed? Or, just to be safe and not waste those Nosler Accubonds, load the neck with Cream of Wheat and just fireform. Any suggestions on the charge weight and how to seat the COW?

My suggestion, don't bump the shoulder at all, unless the round is tight chambering after being reloaded. The once fired and formed brass will likely be a drop in easy fit so all you need to do is reduce the neck size so you have a good grip on the bullet. No point in building in headspace that isn't needed.

I have never worried about fire forming brass before using it hunting. I load them, test check they cycle and close bolt well and shoot them. After a lot of testing I have never found any accuracy difference worth mentioning on newly formed versus fire formed loads. Try it on your gun, if it works like it does on mine, no wasted powder or bullets. Just load and shoot. After all, all facotry ammo is newly formed brass the first time you shoot it.

I agree with Dean but I would add, check neck thickness just to be certain that it isn't too thick. You moved the neck down into thicker brass on the 06 case. I think you will be fine but be certain there is enough clearance for good bullet release. Measure a fired case neck outside, and measure the neck of a loaded round to be sure there is a few thousandths clearance in the chamber. Necking up to a larger Caliber usually thins it a bit but best to be sure.
I have a 9.3x62 and love the round.

I'm building a 9.3x62 right now, and played with sizing some 06 brass while waiting for parts....with the x62, it looks like I need to size up to .375 before going to 9.3 in order to get a false shoulder. I have brass, so I'm not sure if I'll follow through with it or not. My real reason for posting is to ask if you have thought of trying these for plinking/fire forming........dirt cheap compared to other 9.3 bullets. I bought quite a few just to have on hand.

I'm building a 9.3x62 right now, and played with sizing some 06 brass while waiting for parts....with the x62, it looks like I need to size up to .375 before going to 9.3 in order to get a false shoulder. I have brass, so I'm not sure if I'll follow through with it or not. My real reason for posting is to ask if you have thought of trying these for plinking/fire forming........dirt cheap compared to other 9.3 bullets. I bought quite a few just to have on hand.

I have shot a lot of privi 7mm, 9.3 and 30 calibre bullets. They work well on targets but they are also very effective on game. Same is true of Sellier and Bellot.

Prvi bullets have in the past given me excellent accuracy in several calibers and make great loads for plinking too.

I didn't do the flash shoulder in my rifle. What I did was adjust my sizing die to size just enough to create a snug fit in the chamber and test fitted each case to be sure they would all fit. Same idea as a false shoulder but applied to the while case. The 9.3x62 I found to be inherently accurate and I had a hard time finding a bad shooting load. In fact, Using Barnes 250 gr, the largest group was 1" and smallest .3" and I tested a number of powders. Reloder 17 and N-550 were the top performers in my rifle with .3" & .5" respectively.

More on sizing a cartridge to a different caliber. On sizing up from let's say 30-06 to 9.3 X 57 Mauser (my dilemma at present). Having plenty of good 06 brass on hand to work with and after having searched everywhere for the past 5 months with no luck finding the Norma 9.3 X 57 brass this seems to be the only option. I welcome your comments or suggestions on my process.

First, I start with annealing my de-primed, cleaned and annealed 06 brass. I trim off about ¼ inch of the neck. Lube the case really well, and full-length size in my 9.3 die. Slow and easy. After sizing, check the dimensions and trim to correct length. Am I missing anything here? I loaded and fired 6 rounds with a light load and a 250 Nosler bullet. Going forward, do I measure the shoulder on the fireformed cases, and set my full-length sizing die up to bump the shoulder .002 from there and processed? Or, just to be safe and not waste those Nosler Accubonds, load the neck with Cream of Wheat and just fireform. Any suggestions on the charge weight and how to seat the COW?
How did this turn out for you? About to convert 3006 for my 9.3x57